Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Old Toledo 1-A pipe threader

Options
CLamb
CLamb Member Posts: 285
I am using my grandfather's Toledo 1-A pipe threader to thread 2" black pipe. Considering he retired before 1950 it must be from before that year. When I set it to the lines on the guide pins, shown in the photo below, it doesn't start with deep enough threads. Hand tight the pipe only goes 2-2 1/2 threads deep into a fitting instead of the 4-5 it should. I compensate by backing the die head out two turns past the marks. This seems to work nicely. I'm trying to figure out why it doesn't produce the proper threads when set to the marks. I am sure I butt the end of the pipe directly against the dies when putting it into the head. It produces nice threads which seal properly. I can't imagine the dies would be worn enough to make that much of a difference. The guide pins don't seem to be worn. The dies are flush against the back of their slots. Were the thread standards different in the first half of the 20th century? Any other ideas why this might be happening?

WMno57

Comments

• dko
    dko Member Posts: 607
    edited January 12
    Options
    I used to thread pipe 10 hours a day, 5 days a week. Borderline OCD about it and every single one had to be perfect. When I started I compared my results to a domestic factory made nipple and domestic fittings. It is usually 2.5-3 full rotations you can do with just your fingers. I carry only SIAM made imported fittings, and they too are only 2.5-3 rotations. It varies more once you get into the cheaper imports.

Your tool is fine it seems. 4-5 is pretty high, would definitely aim lower. Unless you're talking about full grip hand and going as much as hard as you can without a wrench, but even then I'd want it at most 3.5-4. This also means you are thinning out the pipe that much more at the tip.

I use a ridgid 300 and 1224. Should never follow their guide lines. not accurate whatsoever. I'm always above or below the line a little. I can adjust it maybe 1/16" and its a difference of the nipple going all the way inside a fitting without resistance, only going half a turn, and just right. So your teeth wearing out even a little can make a huge difference.
    CLambWMno57
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,572
    Options
    Never seen a Toledo 1-A so don't know how they work. But no the pipe threads never changed

The only variation when hand threading is how tired :) the operator gets.
    Intplm.JUGHNECLamb