Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Carlin ProX burner is locked out

Options
HeatingHelp
HeatingHelp Administrator Posts: 650
This discussion was created from comments split from: Replacing old oil boiler with more efficient system.

Comments

• RegularGuy
    RegularGuy Member Posts: 2
    edited January 12
    Options
    I installed an Energy Kinetics System 2000 with a Carlin ProX Burner in March of 2021 along with a new Roth Oil tank and I regret doing so. Like the original poster, who was repeatedly coaxed and urged to buy Energy Kinetics by some on this website, I've had problems with this new and supposedly wonderfully designed system. My system was installed by an experienced company recommended by Energy Kinetics. My new hot water tank, which is an integrated part of the system, started leaking this summer and I had to replace the expansion tank and a valve to the tune of about $. Now, just like the original poster, the Carlin ProX burner is locked out and we don't have heat, and it is cold tonight. I'm sure a bunch of the Energy Kinetics lovers will say it isn't a problem with the EK unit, but as far as I'm concerned it is all one interconnected system. I'm 60 years old have lived in old homes with oil burners over 60 years old that never gave me problems. As far as servicing, most of the EK installers are oil dealers, as the original poster mentioned, and they charge far more for their oil than others. If you don't buy their oil, they won't service your equipment. There are very few HVAC people in my area who are trained to service Energy Kinetics systems, and the ones I've found are very pricey. I'm already feeling ready to take a sledge hammer to this system. I hope others will read and think twice before making the same mistake.
  • STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,505
    Options

I installed an Energy Kinetics System 2000 with a Carlin ProX Burner in March of 2021 along with a new Roth Oil tank and I regret doing so. Like the original poster, who was repeatedly coaxed and urged to buy Energy Kinetics by some on this website, I've had problems with this new and supposedly wonderfully designed system. My system was installed by an experienced company recommended by Energy Kinetics. My new hot water tank, which is an integrated part of the system, started leaking this summer and I had to replace the expansion tank and a valve to the tune of about $600. Now, just like the original poster, the Carlin ProX burner is locked out and we don't have heat, and it is cold tonight. I'm sure a bunch of the Energy Kinetics lovers will say it isn't a problem with the EK unit, but as far as I'm concerned it is all one interconnected system. I'm 60 years old have lived in old homes with oil burners over 60 years old that never gave me problems. As far as servicing, most of the EK installers are oil dealers, as the original poster mentioned, and they charge far more for their oil than others. If you don't buy their oil, they won't service your equipment. There are very few HVAC people in my area who are trained to service Energy Kinetics systems, and the ones I've found are very pricey. I'm already feeling ready to take a sledge hammer to this system. I hope others will read and think twice before making the same mistake.

The primary control controls the burner, it locked out because it detected an unsafe condition, or the primary itself has failed. It has nothing to do with the boiler.
    Main reason for premature failure/leaking is water quality.
    If your 60 years old, how did you live with oil burners for over 60 years?
    So oil dealers are too expensive for service, and independents are too expensive for service?
    Have you actually talked to anyone from EK, or are you just here to whine?
    You’re 60 and were 'coaxed' by people on the internet? At least you weren’t coerced.

There was an error rendering this rich post.

HVACNUT
  • WMno57
    WMno57 Member Posts: 1,330
    edited January 12
    Options
    @RegularGuy Welcome to HeatingHelp. Let's work through this and get your heat back on.
    @Erin Holohan Haskell Could you split this off to a new discussion please?

My new hot water tank,......, leaking
    had to replace the expansion tank and a valve
    Carlin ProX burner is locked out and we don't have heat

Three separate and probably unrelated failures. Since you are cold let's work on the last one first. We can come back to the other two when you are warm.
    I'm not an EK cheerleader, and in fact, as a DIYer am not real happy with their policy of only selling parts to Pros (there is at least one part that can only be sourced from them). I wouldn't buy one for my house, although I admire EK's focus on quality and building a premium product (their claim). Anecdotal statements here seem to back that up.
    International Harvester built high quality premium SUVs (stopped in 1980) and pickup trucks (stopped 1975). Unfortunately having a better product does not guarantee survival in the business world. IH collapsed before the SUV and pickup boom because their dealerships were in rural areas and inconvenient for suburbanites. Harvester's demographics crystal ball was stuck in 1950.
    My crystal ball says the shortage of good techs in HVAC will only get worse. The "sell and talk to Pro's only" policy, may cause problems for EK and Owners of their equipment going forward.
    Back to No Heat:
    The Carlin burner is not a proprietary part. Any competent Oil tech can service a Carlin. You can buy one yourself from HeatingHelp site sponser https://www.supplyhouse.com/ and slap it in yourself. You will need a digital combustion analyzer (expensive tool) and some knowledge to tune it. If it isn't tuned, you will soot up your boiler and make lethal amounts of carbon monoxide. The CO will probably go out the flue, until something fails with the flue system. So it makes more sense to hire a competent oil tech. They don't have to be EK trained. EK makes another claim that they will work with any Pro (but not homeowners). Let's test that claim.
    Does your Carlin display any error codes?
    You will get better help if you can post some pictures here.
    I DIY.
    Erin Holohan Haskell
  • HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,861
    edited January 12
    Options
    You don't need an Energy Kinetics dealer to service your Energy Kinetics boiler. And your boiler is 99% the same function and operation as any other oil fired boiler. I've often blamed Ford for my flat tires and I always blame Levi's when I rip my jeans. 
  • Erin Holohan Haskell
    Erin Holohan Haskell Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 2,324
    Options
    @RegularGuy, I've created a new discussion for you here to prevent confusion. I'm sorry that you're having trouble with your heating. Have you contacted your Energy Kinetics installer directly? I will alert their team to your issue and I'm sure they will gladly help. I get it that you're frustrated and want to vent, but disparaging a company and its products on the Internet is not going to fix your problem. This forum is here for solutions and learning, so let's have a productive discussion and get to the bottom of this together and get the Energy Kinetics team on site. The reason why there are so many fans of Energy Kinetics here is that they stand by their products. Thanks.

President
    HeatingHelp.com

• JayMcCay
    JayMcCay Member Posts: 33
    Options
    Thank you for your post, @RegularGuy – sorry to hear you have not had your issues resolved quickly and easily. We’re here to help, please contact us for a fast resolution. Either PM me or call me at (908) 328-7154.

Jay
    Jay McCay
    National Sales Manager
    Energy Kinetics
    908 328-7154 cell
  • RegularGuy
    RegularGuy Member Posts: 2
    Options

Three separate and probably unrelated failures. Since you are cold let's work on the last one first. We can come back to the other two when you are warm.
    I'm not an EK cheerleader, and in fact, as a DIYer am not real happy with their policy of only selling parts to Pros (there is at least one part that can only be sourced from them). I wouldn't buy one for my house, although I admire EK's focus on quality and building a premium product (their claim). Anecdotal statements here seem to back that up.
    International Harvester built high quality premium SUVs (stopped in 1980) and pickup trucks (stopped 1975). Unfortunately having a better product does not guarantee survival in the business world. IH collapsed before the SUV and pickup boom because their dealerships were in rural areas and inconvenient for suburbanites. Harvester's demographics crystal ball was stuck in 1950.
    My crystal ball says the shortage of good techs in HVAC will only get worse. The "sell and talk to Pro's only" policy, may cause problems for EK and Owners of their equipment going forward.
    Back to No Heat:
    The Carlin burner is not a proprietary part. Any competent Oil tech can service a Carlin. You can buy one yourself from HeatingHelp site sponser https://www.supplyhouse.com/ and slap it in yourself. You will need a digital combustion analyzer (expensive tool) and some knowledge to tune it. If it isn't tuned, you will soot up your boiler and make lethal amounts of carbon monoxide. The CO will probably go out the flue, until something fails with the flue system. So it makes more sense to hire a competent oil tech. They don't have to be EK trained. EK makes another claim that they will work with any Pro (but not homeowners). Let's test that claim.
    Does your Carlin display any error codes?
    You will get better help if you can post some pictures here.

Thank you. It's good to know I don't have go through an EK certified technician. Turns out the heat pump on the Carlin burner froze for no reason the technician could see. He replaced it with a new one and believes Carlin will cover it under warranty. Several hours of labor (he had to get he part), so we've spent well over a grand this year on maintenance and repairs. He said there was no sign of water and the Tigerlool filter was clean. So perhaps this wasn't a boiler issue, but the technician also said EK boilers can be more "finicky" than others.