Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

3/4 chimney blocked off

Options
3/4 of my chimney is blocked off and the exhaust eliminates through a hole on the side about 3 feet off the ground. Is this ok?

Comments

• EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,575
    Options
    Maybe, maybe not. Got any pictures? Does the boiler allow for direct venting.
  • Dyingtofly
    Dyingtofly Member Posts: 4
    Options
    WOW, Joheaning, you don't give very much information in the way of details about your particular situation! What's blocking your chimney? What kind of chimney is this - masonry (does it have a liner?), or is it galvanized B-vent?, stainless steel?, single wall?, insulated? etc., etc., etc.. What is the chimney venting? Does this go to a heating appliance (boiler or furnace or water heater or unit heater)? Natural or LP combustion gas? Fuel oil combustion gas? Wood smoke? Why is the chimney 3/4 blocked and why hasn't it been cleared/cleaned? What created the hole that is 3' above grade level?

It sounds like a very dangerous situation. The purpose of a vent (chimney as you call it) is to remove combustion gas from an occupied/living space. Compromised chimneys are the cause of many deaths during heating season. Carbon monoxide gas infiltrates the occupied space with its odorless & tasteless fumes, killing the inhabitants. From your very brief description, I've no doubt your chimney is severely compromised and is in need of immediate, professional attention.

Please, please, have a qualified contractor check out your particular situation as soon as is humanly possible. Your life may depend on it, really!
  • STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,505
    Options
    Of course it’s not ok, unless it’s a direct vent done that way on purpose through the proper flue pipe.
    Otherwise someone may get seriously sick or die.

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• Bob Harper
    Bob Harper Member Posts: 1,039
    Options
    Kervorkian chimney? Either it's right or not. If you run a power venter off a liner down into a basement and it's not a direct conflict with the mfr., then it's ok. A passive hole in the wall is death knocking at your door. Shut it down until professionally inspected and corrected as needed.
  • MikeAmann
    MikeAmann Member Posts: 998
    Options
    joheaning said:

3/4 of my chimney is blocked off and the exhaust eliminates through a hole on the side about 3 feet off the ground. Is this ok?

Let me guess..... someone saw a youtube video of something similar and decided that doing this is OK because "if it's on the internet - it must be true"
  • dko
    dko Member Posts: 610
    Options
    I'm pretty sure OP knows it's not okay deep down inside and was reaching at that tiny molecule of hope stemming from lack of expertise on the subject. But as the OP has not responded and given more information on the matter.. hopefully chose the option of calling a professional and not just left it as is.
    MikeAmann