Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Loss of pressure

2»

Comments

• photokynetics
    photokynetics Member Posts: 49
    He told me the tank was there to act as a heating reserve for the hot water and that's all, as far as the filters go he thought they would be a good idea to filter the water of any impurities, which we have pretty hard water here so that may not be such a bad idea, we have a lot of minerals in our city water.
    There are no schematics to this thing but I imagine I could sit down and draw one up, and I probably will just so that I get a better idea of what's going on but this is something the homeowner bought and installed himself. As far as that air valve goes, I can move it up above the top of that tank elbow and get it level and then it should be okay?
    I really appreciate everyone's help with this it's my first one and since it's a complete homeowner install it's been a challenge!
  • SgtMaj
    SgtMaj Member Posts: 77
    edited January 13
    @photokynetics You forgot to mention the system was winterized at one point. And I believe many of us mentioned air in the system. Regardless, glad you got it up and running.
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,704
    Here is how you rotate two ells to make a swing ell to plumb up a crooked connection.

I'm not saying that getting the air vent level will solve all the issues.
    But it makes me feel better, since it looks like a Caleffi vent :)

It looks like a plain steel filter canister. It could be causing as many problems if it is rusting and flaking particles into the system. It's not really a hydronic filter.

Former homeowner, aka mad scientist I'd guess?
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • photokynetics
    I don't recall the seller saying that he winterized the system im just repeating what the technician had said that it seems that it got winterized and not all the air was removed. We've only been in here for just a little over a month and I haven't been able to get a hold of the seller to ask him all these questions, the way he's hiding like a coward makes me wonder perhaps he's hiding a lot of stuff and he doesn't want to face me on it because I'm discovering it? I would have asked him if they'd been winterized lately just so I can understand how air would have gotten the system and if a person would just be upfront and honest it's not a deal breaker, it just makes the buyer more prepared to deal with what's happening, but this day and age where the housing markets going through the roof people are cowardly taking their money and running just as quickly as they can. I'm just a little frustrated so don't mind me venting.
    When I first saw this system I joked that the tank was an air compressor tank and he said that's exactly what it is, okay it seems strange to me but I thought he knew he was doing and maybe it will be okay? Anyway, it's working now, and not as intimidating as one might think.
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,704
    What does he mean by winterize? Seems a heating system by definition is 'winterized"?
    Did he pump in a glycol antifreeze by chance? Some people do that to protect pipes during a long power outage.

You are certainly handicapped by not being able to talk with the designer/ installer. That is definitely a home brew system.

I see a complete repipe in your future, If you want a reliable, understandable system.

May as well go with the flow for this winter.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • dko
    dko Member Posts: 668
    edited January 15
    Regular PVC fittings used in conjunction with the CPVC at the returns. Good chance in other places as well. Might see an elbow back there.

The white pex labeled "recirculation" is aquapex, no oxygen barrier. Who knows how much of it is used.

Potable water expansion tank used, but possibly a good thing for this system if the air charge is correct.

Condensate drain piping low point isn't the drain. Two relief valves hard piped along with it.

Hopefully building drain is plastic, no neutralizer.

Amazed the system works. One of the pipes is labeled HWR/HWS upstairs coil. Which is it. Heating supply tees off right away below the boiler, one into the wall to the right and one up the wall to the left. Returns tie into the top of the "thermal tank" then the circulator pumps away from the bottom of the tank into the "recirculation loop," wherever that goes, and at the same time is piped into the boiler return in the opposite direction.

Nothing conventional, like above- would recommend a repipe sooner than later.

I see this install as a ticking time bomb.

Just for curiosity's sake, could you take one more photo under the boiler to see where the pipes are connecting to? And where that white pex pipe goes after the circulator.

And which pipes/tubing is hot around the boiler when you turn the heat on?
  • Daveinscranton
    Daveinscranton Member Posts: 148
    On the bright side, you have some parts to work with.  When it is re piped.  Warm may be the best you can hope for this winter.  
  • photokynetics

• photokynetics
    I will re pipe everything up in the spring, hopefully all will be good 
  • photokynetics
    This is a view of the bottom