Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Radiant Purge Viega Manifold

jalagna
jalagna Member Posts: 43
edited January 6 in THE MAIN WALL
Hello, I recently added (today) a HW heating zone in my basement. After installation I bled and purged my 3 HW zones and also my 4 HW radiant zones. For some reason the return temp on the radiant is not as hot as it was prior, it’s pretty much slightly higher than room temp. Any suggestions? See picture, thanks!  

Comments

• hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,839
    Is the added zone a radiant slab??  It can take some time to warm up a slab and the cold return from that zone will drag down the temperature in the other zones. Give it a day to catch up.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • jalagna
    The added zone was 2 Runtal elements. I had to cut into the main to add so I had to purge the other zones and I can’t seem to get the radiant zones back to hot.
  • hot_rod
    Unless you have a purge cart with 1/2 hp pump or larger, you will need to purge one loop at a time, takes 5 minutes or so to get all the air out of long loops

Turn the blue valve off, hook a hose to the purge cock at the other end and open one zone at a time.
    Either power up the actuator on the loop, or remove the actuator to open that loop. Purge, close loop, repeat on each loop of the manifold.

The cap on the purge cap has a square wrench to open the purge cock.

Stick the purge hose into the HD bucket to see when the air bubbles stop coming out.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    jalagna
  • jalagna
    If I take the control heads off, how do I open and close the valve? Adjustable on the nut under the pin? 
  • hot_rod
    When you take an actuator off the manifold that branch is now full open. When you screw an actuator onto a manifold it shuts off that port.
    Until the actuator is powered up.

When the pin is up, that valve is open. Depress the pin to close off that valve.

Or leave the actuators on and power them up, to open them, one at a time.

I generally do all the purging before I install actuators.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    jalagna