Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Tiny home in floor radiant hydronic heating (warmboard) help

Options
Hi! I live in an area where people don’t want to touch tiny homes for gas work so finding info about how to run my warmboard hydronic heated floors has been challenging. I want to use propane to heat. I have 120 ft of 1/2 inch pex in a single zone. I don’t know what kind of heater (I was thinking on demand but don’t know how to regulate the flow) and what kind of pump and thermostat. I am at a loss on how to build this system! Thanks in advance. 

Comments

• hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,201
    Options
    About the only small enough lp heater is a 6,000 btu/ hr water heater. They are noisy and fairly inefficient
    When you run a heat load on a tiny home, it is tiny also. I used a small electric boiler on an 8x20’ home I built. I actually downsized the element in the Thermo 2000 boiler.

One thing to be aware of is the amount of actual floor space to cover the load. With built ins you end up with maybe a 3’ wide strip of useable radiant floor heat. Mine was spray foamed and had good windows, so the load was under.2,000 btu/ hr. The heat from cooking or running a small over is about all you need for heat🤔
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
    Mad Dog_2tinyhomeheathelp
  • Larry Weingarten
    Larry Weingarten Member Posts: 3,318
    Options
    Hi, I'll add that if you live in an area that gets cold, you could add radiant tube or panel radiators to the walls to get enough surface area. This might be a case where a dedicated tank-type water heater will provide enough heat. On demand heaters have so much flow restriction, that they aren't a good fit for radiant heating.

Yours, Larry
    tinyhomeheathelp
  • Mad Dog_2
    Mad Dog_2 Member Posts: 7,049
    Options
    I like a small tank type water heater even electric if rates are Low in your area. Mad dog 🐕 
  • Hot_water_fan
    Hot_water_fan Member Posts: 1,870
    Options
    If this is grid connected, I’d use electricity, it’s just easier. 
  • hot_rod
    edited January 2
    Options
    This looks like a nicer design for for RV use
    My brother in law put one of their lp furnaces  in a 24’ camping trailer

https://www.propexheatsource.com/heaters/malaga-water-heater/
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    tinyhomeheathelp
  • bburd
    bburd Member Posts: 919
    edited January 2
    Options
    hot_rod said:

That heater has a maximum working pressure of 29 psi, and "must not be connect to a mains water supply" meaning public water or well tank, which operate at higher pressures. Probably not right for the application, but there must be something out there that is.

Bburd
  • TAG
    TAG Member Posts: 755
    Options
    What are you using to heat the domestic hot water
  • hot_rod
    Options
    bburd said:

hot_rod said:

That heater has a maximum working pressure of 29 psi, and "must not be connect to a mains water supply" meaning public water or well tank, which operate at higher pressures. Probably not right for the application, but there must be something out there that is.
    My thought was to use it as the radiant heat source. A 20 psi relief could be added. It could run at 5 psi fill pressure
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    bburd
  • Alan (California Radiant) Forbes
    Options
    8.33 lbs./gal. x 60 min./hr. x 20°ΔT = 10,000 BTU's/hour

Two btu per sq ft for degree difference for a slab