Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Maybe an indirect is better

Options
Le John
Le John Member Posts: 226
I have a Lochinvar Noble NKC 199 is a tenant occupied 2 family house. I was there yesterday and noticed the unit cycle on and off at least 50 times from people using the faucets showers etc. At one point the water pressure was fluctuating. Does that mean the flat plate has reached it max GPM?

The unit has run very well for 5 years(I do the maintenance on it yearly) but I was considering adding a 20 Gallon indirect to help with the on and off cycles from the DHW demand. Is this a good idea? If so what brand and model indirect?

Appreciate the assistance.

Comments

• Hot_water_fan
    Hot_water_fan Member Posts: 1,868
    Options
    If no one is complaining, I see no reason to. Combis short cycle, it’s their nature. An indirect or just a plain old separate tank are better products. 
    Le John
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,193
    Options
    Nice to hear the combi works out on a two family application.

You could add a bit of a buffer tank to lessen short cycles. Some of the tankless WHs now have a small tank inside to eliminate the"cold sandwich" and for some buffer effect.

A 6 or 12 gallon electric water heater would work also for less $$
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
    Le John
  • Le John
    Le John Member Posts: 226
    Options
    @hot_rod would I be able to use the electric as an indirect?
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,193
    Options
    Just a miniature version of this. You could leave the elements in an electric tank for dual fuel option if the tankless breaks down, or use electricity when it is “on sale” in evening hours.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
    MikeAmann