Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

System 2000 + Nest Power Connector

stlblufan
stlblufan Member Posts: 14
Hi, I installed a Nest Power Connector on the Digital Energy Manager. Following advice I found elsewhere on the internet machine, I wired the power connector with the W wire on the T terminal and the R wire on terminal A1. The C wire is wired to the A2 Terminal.

Everything seems to work fine. The Nest "sees" the power connector and functions properly. However, after some time, the Energy Manager shows an error with a flashing 100. As far as I can tell, things are still working as they should, even though I understand that this means that every zone will open and that the boiler will heat to max setting.

What am I doing wrong? Is the NPC simply not compatible with the DEM?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 8,326
    What EK energy manager are you using? Oil, Gas and Age. the model number ofthe boiler will help to diagnose.

There are several EK personnel that frequent this site.

To use the NPC you must be able to get the both R and C of the controls transformer.

The next import question is, How many conductors ar in the thermostat wire behind the wall where the thermostat is mounted? If you have 3 or more on a heating only thermostat, you do not need the NPC.

Edward Young Retired

After you make that expensive repair and you still have the same problem, What will you check next?

• EdTheHeaterMan
    edited December 2023
    Another Question... How many thermostats (zones) are operating. The DHW counts as one, how many other space heating zones (Thermostats) do you have?

Edward Young Retired

After you make that expensive repair and you still have the same problem, What will you check next?

• stlblufan
    It's the Digital Energy Manager. Like this. I don't know how old it is, if I had to guess I'd say ~15 years.

The heat is oil. The thermostat has only two wires--W and R. That's why I thought that the NPC would be a good solution.
  • 109A_5
    109A_5 Member Posts: 1,388
    Hello @stlblufan,
    Seems unrelated, other than you were just there and maybe inadvertently dislodged a sensor wire and it took a while to fall off, or the sensor just happened to fail.

https://energykinetics.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/11/E-7-8-9_Dig_Mgr_Boiler_Troubleshoot.pdf

There are NEST recommendations at https://energykinetics.com/digital-manager-heating-professional/ (scroll down), although I did not find one for the NPC. I would think it would work fine.

If you truly think it is NEST related disconnect the NEST stuff and reconnect the old thermostat as a test. Maybe just connect the old thermostat right at the boiler as a test.

National - U.S. Gas Boiler 45+ Years Old
    Steam 300 SQ. FT. - EDR 347
    One Pipe System
    stlblufan
  • stlblufan
    edited December 2023

Another Question... How many thermostats (zones) are operating. The DHW counts as one, how many other space heating zones (Thermostats) do you have?

DHW + 4 (all of which are old-fashioned honeywell style, with the exception of the Nest).
    EdTheHeaterMan
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    The Energy manager may not have a large enough transformer to operate all the necessary components in the system PLUS the added load of the more than one Nest Power converter and the Neat thermostat loads. Since I am not famillair with the internal workings of the EK DEM you may need to isolate the Nest equipment from the DEM with a relay. Here is one way to accomplish this. there are others

This will resolve your issue since the RIB relay is using contacts ONLY to connect the T to the A1. All the extra load from the smart thermostat circuit(s) are isolated

Edward Young Retired

stlblufan
  • SuperTech
    SuperTech Member Posts: 2,212
    Flashing 100 is the temperature sensor is not functioning. Either you have a bad connection, failed sensor or you fried the sensor while attempting to connect the Nest. 

My personal opinion is that you are better off with the round Honeywell thermostat. I don't think the Nest benefits the system in any way and you have better options for wifi thermostats. But that's my personal bias from dealing with Nest problems. 

If you need a new temperature sensor I'm sure your EK service provider will be able to accommodate you tomorrow.  Your boiler will still operate in "service board mode" until then.
    STEVEusaPAstlblufan
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    Still waiting to find out how many wires are in the wall behind your thermostat? Is there one wire with only 2 conductors? Is there one wire with 3 or more conductors?

Edward Young Retired

• stlblufan
    @EdTheHeaterMan sorry answered this above -- only two, one red and one white
    EdTheHeaterMan
  • stlblufan
    SuperTech said:

Flashing 100 is the temperature sensor is not functioning. Either you have a bad connection, failed sensor or you fried the sensor while attempting to connect the Nest. 

My personal opinion is that you are better off with the round Honeywell thermostat. I don't think the Nest benefits the system in any way and you have better options for wifi thermostats. But that's my personal bias from dealing with Nest problems. 

If you need a new temperature sensor I'm sure your EK service provider will be able to accommodate you tomorrow.  Your boiler will still operate in "service board mode" until then.

I suppose this is possible. I took the nest out of the equation and everything seemed to return to normal, but I understand that the monitor takes some time to try to "resolve" things before throwing a 100. So ... TBD.
  • stlblufan
    SuperTech said:

What do you think a better option for a wifi tstat is? The sole purpose for changing to the nest is the ability to remotely monitor an often vacant property.
  • dko
    dko Member Posts: 668
    edited December 2023
    If monitoring a single thermostat - Honeywell RTH9585WF or TH8321WF1001

If multiple, would recommend the Honeywell redlink system.
    SuperTechstlblufan
  • stlblufan
    SuperTech said:

Winner winner, somehow I fried the temp sensor and had the honor of acquiring a new one today. I still don't understand what I did wrong, though. I followed the instructions that others have successfully used. The Nest itself was happy, it "saw" the NPC and was functioning normally. I had the board off the entire time that I was making wiring changes. Maybe the transformer itself was still providing its 24V and somehow that affected the sensor during my addition of the NPC? Very confusing. Anyway....I'm back to the good ole Honeywell.
    SuperTech
  • SuperTech
    SuperTech Member Posts: 2,212
    I like the Honeywell wifi thermostats myself.  The T5 and T6 are good as well as the 8000. 
    stlblufan
  • jringel
    jringel Member Posts: 35
    stlblufan the installation of a WI-FI thermostat should not interfere with the return sensor on the manager. If you would like to try to install the Nest power connector you can use this diagram to help you. If you go with a differant thermostat please feel free to contact me at the factory 1-800-323-2066 to answer any questions.

John Ringel Energy Kinetics
    stlblufan
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,703
    I've had great results with Ecobee thermostats. Never installed a Nest, but we see more problems with that brand then any other here at HH.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
    stlblufan