Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Adding a Drip Leg

bergensteamguy
bergensteamguy Member Posts: 57
Hello all, I am having a new gas stove installed. there is an existing gas line I would like to tap off. Just wondering if a drip leg is needed and if anyone has any suggestions on what I am planning to do... I have attached a picture. the rectangle yellow box is the new piping.

Comments

• mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 10,186
    edited December 2023
    You can add one if you want but there is an exception in the code that says ranges do not need a drip leg.

How did you size the piping from the meter to the appliances?
  • bergensteamguy
    The pipe from the street is 3/4. I am planning to put on a reducer on the nipple before the shut off valve. This stove only requires 1/2 connection.
  • Intplm.
    Intplm. Member Posts: 2,122
    You certainly can add one. The gas line will need to be looked at to determine if the gas supply can work with the new stove. Are you adding this stove or is this a replacement?
    You will need to measure your gas supply system to see how or if it will work.
    You might need additional pipe size, pipe regulators, or both, or neither.
    The measurements you take will determine how it will need to be installed.
    bergensteamguy
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,975
    You need to make sure the gas line will support the existing gas dryer as well as the stove. No one can answer that without knowing gas pressure, pipe sizes, length of run, BTUs of the appliances etc..

Just because you have a gas line in the general area does not mean it can be used.
    bergensteamguymattmia2
  • bergensteamguy
    Intplm. said:

You certainly can add one. The gas line will need to be looked at to determine if the gas supply can work with the new stove. Are you adding this stove or is this a replacement?
    You will need to measure your gas supply system to see how or if it will work.
    You might need additional pipe size, pipe regulators, or both, or neither.
    The measurements you take will determine how it will need to be installed.

I am replacing this stove. So there is already a gas hookup to this stove. The only thing i am doing it moving it per the installation instructions to the side of the stove that the pipe will not hit the back of the new appliance. There is a diagram where there is an opening.
  • Intplm.
    Intplm. Member Posts: 2,122
    Is this LP gas or natural gas?
    If LP you probably do not need a drip leg.
    Code requirements may dictate that in your area.
    If this drip leg is to be in a cold area where it could freeze then no drip leg.
    bergensteamguy
  • Check the installation instructions for the stove as the manufacturer may require a drip leg. The lack of one may negate the warranty. 
    8.33 lbs./gal. x 60 min./hr. x 20°ΔT = 10,000 BTU's/hour

Two btu per sq ft for degree difference for a slab
    bergensteamguy
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,691
    How would anyone ever know or check the drip leg?

There is not usually a lot of room behind a stove, often the piping needs to fit in a small notch at the bottom back of the unit
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream