Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Uponor toilet stop

ChrisJ
ChrisJ Member Posts: 16,093
Ok

I'm at a loss here.

How does this work?

I originally bought this as backup to just run the PEX right thru the floor but I planned on using a Brass craft valve that comes with a nice chrome tube on it.  Well that tube fits so loose over the 1/2" copper that I don't trust it at all.  I shifted soldered it using Brigit and....I don't know.  Very questionable.

So I'm here with this thing and the more I look at it the more confused I am.

The chrome tube doesn't fit into the funnel adapter thing. 

Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment

Comments

• ChrisJ
    This is my best guess....
    Still seems weird.

Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
    Mad Dog_2
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,975
    That is weird.

I assumed the funnel thing went on the floor wide end down and the sleeve fit in the small end of the funnel and the pex ran through the thing to the valve. Compression nut feeds toilet. Guess I was wrong
    Mad Dog_2
  • Alan (California Radiant) Forbes
    Alan (California Radiant) Forbes Member Posts: 4,150
    edited December 2023
    Can't read the complete part number......LF4__65038
    8.33 lbs./gal. x 60 min./hr. x 20°ΔT = 10,000 BTU's/hour

Two btu per sq ft for degree difference for a slab
  • Mad Dog_2
    Mad Dog_2 Member Posts: 7,349
    When it doesn't make sense, someone in the Supply chain likely screwed up.  Mad Dog 🐕 
  • ChrisJ
    Mad Dog_2 said:
    When it doesn't make sense, someone in the Supply chain likely screwed up.  Mad Dog 🐕 
    No I think it was me this time.

@Alan (California Radiant) Forbes I think that's just the valve number.  I have a feeling I bought all of this stuff a few years ago separately and then forgot and assumed it came as a kit.

I think the escutcheon and funnel thing to together and the sleeve is a separate item.
  • Danny Scully
    Danny Scully Member Posts: 1,431
    It’s will make sense when you’re covering the pex/ring. You have it right @ChrisJ 👍
    ChrisJ
  • Intplm.
    Intplm. Member Posts: 2,122
    edited December 2023
    ChrisJ said:

This is my best guess....
    Still seems weird.

You have it just about right here.

What you do is cut the uponor pex to length and the chrome piece shorter.
    Place the funnel type fitting large side up.
    Put the expansion collar on and expand it. That's why the piece is shaped like a cone. You need the room to put your expansion tool in there.
    Lastly. Install the valve like any other uponor expansion fitting.

The chrome piece of pipe is meant only as a cover over the pex pipe. You cut to length the chrome pc to fit.
    ChrisJ
  • ChrisJ
    @Danny Scully @Intplm.

Thank you for responding.

I ended up using it without the chrome sleeve.
    It seemed like the sleeve wasn't intended to go with the rest of it, and it seemed fine without it. Do guys actually install them with the sleeve to keep it up higher?

Oddly enough, it doesn't look bad installed. I left some slack in the pex so when we pull this back out in a few months and put down a tile floor it'll still work out. Knowing how things go, I'll probably just cut the pex rather than try to tile around it.
    Intplm.
  • Intplm.
    ChrisJ said:

@Danny Scully @Intplm.

Thank you for responding.

I ended up using it without the chrome sleeve.
    It seemed like the sleeve wasn't intended to go with the rest of it, and it seemed fine without it. Do guys actually install them with the sleeve to keep it up higher?

Oddly enough, it doesn't look bad installed. I left some slack in the pex so when we pull this back out in a few months and put down a tile floor it'll still work out. Knowing how things go, I'll probably just cut the pex rather than try to tile around it.

Nice.

And yes. That sleeve should fit over the pipe as a covering to hide the pex. Usually, the floor, the floor escutcheon, and the valve would jam, or fit against the edge of the floor and the valve edge, or in this case the cones edge.
    ChrisJ
  • ChrisJ
    I wish I could remember who was talking about it a while ago, but I finally ran into an issue with my Uponor manual expander. Actually, I think it's old enough it's marked Whirsbo.

I've never had any complaints about using it, but sitting in the crawl space with a line going away from me
    with a tee connection over the steam main. I needed a third hand. The pex kept wanting to move away and pop off and as I'm trying to operate the expander both arms are laying on exposed steam fittings. It was a ton of fun.

I never wanted a battery expander so bad in my life.................it would've made that absolute nightmare fast and easy. I did get it done but it was so much harder than it needed to be.
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 10,186
    Try it with 1" and you'll wonder what you were thinking with the manual tool.
    ChrisJ
  • ChrisJ
    mattmia2 said:

Try it with 1" and you'll wonder what you were thinking with the manual tool.

dko
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 10,186
    1" has to be expanded ~14 times.
  • Intplm.
    Expansion method isn't my first choice for all of the above reasons and much more.