Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Chimney liner

Options
Hello, thank you for taking a look at my question. I have three appliances which are two gas boilers and one hot water heater. We have a chimney height of 35 feet, can you please let me know what size chimney liner we should use Whether it would be a 6 inch or 7 inch for multiple appliances. Also wanted to add that one of our gas boilers vent pipes are 7 inches wide. Does this mean we have to go with a 7 inch liner? 

I have included pictures of each appliance tag.  Thank you th

thank you
chickengirl-

Comments

• Robert O'Brien
    Robert O'Brien Member Posts: 3,541
    Options
    168, 000 Btu/hr input on oil boiler
    125,000 on gas boiler
    40,000 water heater
    333,000 total input
    Check a chimney chart and that is your answer but 7' at a minimum
    To learn more about this professional, click here to visit their ad in Find A Contractor.
    Mad Dog_2
  • WMno57
    WMno57 Member Posts: 1,324
    Options
    I don't have an answer to your question, but someone here will.
    side note: You can replace the water heater with an indirect water heater that is heated by one of the boilers, or get some type of electric water heater. Then you only have to size the chimney liner for the two boilers.
    I DIY.
    Mad Dog_2Bob Harper
  • realliveplumber
    realliveplumber Member Posts: 354
    Options
    The water heater is like 6 months old.
    WMno57
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 7,945
    edited December 2023
    Options
    WMno57 said:

I don't have an answer to your question, but someone here will.
    side note: You can replace the water heater with an indirect water heater that is heated by one of the boilers, or get some type of electric water heater. Then you only have to size the chimney liner for the two boilers.

@WMno57 is suggesting that someone spend some money on new equipment. I think he might be offering to pay for it too. I know he would never suggest something like that without knowing that you may not be able to afford such a luxury as to discard a perfectly good 6 month old appliance without offering his unlimited wealth for your needs.

Lets all thank @WMno57 for his generosity.

Seriously... Is the WM SGO-4 boiler still fired by OIL? or has it been converted to a gas burner?
    There may be some controversy as to venting two different fuels into the same chimney. Personally, I have done just that with success, but some AHJ frown on the practice

You can not use aluminum liners with Oil Fired Appliances and it appears that with the total BTU capacity listed you may need a 8" liner if you are using a flexible corrugated pipe liner. How large is the inside dimension(s) of your chimney flue?

7" non corrugated (smooth interior) pipe may be fine at 7" but you can only go up to 325,000 BTU total on 7" corrugated liners at 35 feet hight with a short horizontal from the appliances inside the boiler room.

Edward Young Retired

After you make that expensive repair and you still have the same problem, What will you check next?

WMno57
  • MikeAmann
    MikeAmann Member Posts: 998
    edited December 2023
    Options
    She said NO OIL (all gas) - at least that's what I read: I have three appliances which are two gas boilers and one hot water heater.

But the tag for the Weil-McLain SGO-4 does say No 2 fuel oil and shows 3 different oil burners.

@chickengirl , please clarify.