Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

EK2000 Manager - firing during purge cycle

I have an EK2000 about 15 years old. The manager was replaced sometime ago (don't remember the problem). I have a 12 zone manager, although only 7 zones + domestic hot water are used.

Recently I noticed that after all zones are satisfied for heat (based on manager display) and one zone has zone valve open for purge cycle, that the burner fires. It was my understanding that during the purge cycle that circ pump should keep running and the zone valve (last zone calling for heat) should stay open until purge is satisfied or until the purge times out.
I'm thinking that the burner firing during the purge cycle (no calls for heat) means the manager has gone rogue. Perhaps it would just keep on firing during the purge cycle forever but the purge cycle times out and then the burner stops trying to keep the boiler to high temp.

I should say that I have turned the power off to the boiler to see if that would reset the manager. It didn't seem to make a difference.

So, Do you agree that burner should not fire during purge only cycle?

I'm reluctant to change out the manager; my local supplier says the 12 zone is no longer made and I would have to jump to a 15 zone manager. They are fairly pricey and its a bit absurd to do that and have 8 zones unused.

Any source beside EK for rebuilt managers?
Thanks

Comments

• EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 8,326
    edited December 2023
    Agree the burner should not fire during purge with no call for heat.

This sounds like a case for @Roger from EK

Edward Young Retired

After you make that expensive repair and you still have the same problem, What will you check next?

• jringel
    jringel Member Posts: 35
    Jim
    You are 100% correct, The burner should not run when the unit is purging to the zones. There are a couple of things that can cause this. Our manager fires the burner using the B1 and B2 terminals that are connected to TT on your primary control. When the red burner light on the manager is on it closes a set of dry contacts in the manager completing the circuit in the primary control which starts the burner. If TT on the primary is manually jumpered or in the case of the newer primary controls internally programed as jumpered the burner can fire during the zone purge process. I would recommend checking the control settings and wiring as your first step. You can also check for continuity between B2 and B2 during the purging process to see if there is continuity to verify the contacts in the manager are not stuck in the closed position. You would have to remove the wires from the terminals to perform this test. If you have any questions or would like any clarification please feel free to reach out to me at our tech support line 800-323-2066
    John Ringel Energy Kinetics