Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

DIY or you're crazy - Hydronic heating tapped off indirect WH stopped on all three zones

KamboPC
KamboPC Member Posts: 2
We have no hydronic heat circulation to all 3 levels of our townhome and I believe it’s both the cartridge circulator and a motorized actuator valve that are seized.

System design is this.
  • Boilers in common area serve 8 units
  • Hot water from boilers feed an indirect water heater – this is working fine we still have hot water flowing to our house.
  • Auxiliary pipe out of indirect heater feeds the 3 zone hydronic system. 3 zone is a brass manifold
  • One cartridge circulator for 3 zones with actuators on each zone plus for whatever reason a common motorized valve actuator in another area.

Triage so far
  • Confirmed control panel is lighting green for each zone
  • When demand from thermostat additional red light comes on down below for that zone
  • Confirmed power to cartridge circulator
  • Confirmed 24v power to motorized valve actuator

My hypothesis
  • Root cause: I noticed black sludge dripping from the manifold. Looks like that probably seized everything.
  • Cartridge circulator is seized up due to sludge – see brand/parts below
  • A Honeywell motorized valve actuator under the circulator is shot, spring return, etc.
  • Probably worth swapping out the actuators on the 3 zones – showing the new replacement for the Wirsbo actuator and space rings for brass manifold.

Comments

• hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,703
    Does the circ get hot, scalding hot. That can be an indication of a seized pump.

Most often you have an air lock, or the pump is not spinning. Could be a control issue if there is no voltage on the circulator.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • KamboPC
    KamboPC Member Posts: 2
    Welp found out it's the control board having only 16V from the control board on some of the zones.
    So replacing the main Taco control board and the Honeywell MVA -and it's all good.