Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Kitchen Renovation. No Insulation to Roxul Insulation. How to select Radiator?

Options
barnic
barnic Member Posts: 16
Hello. So we are finally renovating our kitchen, roughly 16 x 16 ft, and we currently have a 3 column, 38" tall, 10 section steam radiator, single pipe (50 Sq Ft EDR if I calculated it correctly), with a "C" steam vent. The house is old and has brick nogging (R value of 1). We will be insulating the kitchen only, and wanted to know if we should find a similar EDR radiator that will work in the new layout, or if we could go with something smaller. Windows are currently single pane from the 50's I'm guessing. We will be adding window openings though. We intend to put the new radiator at the end of an new island. So I am guessing we need to keep the total length with shutoff to be less than 24". A 32" tall, 6 tube, 10 section would allow that, and still be 50 Sq Ft. EDR and be under the 24" depth needed but should we go smaller? A five tube, 32" H x 10 Section would be 43.3 Sq Ft EDR for example

Are there any other options for steam radiators? We could possibly put it on the long side of the island (5 ft) and get something slimmer. I also saw the Burnham baseboard types,
but it does not seem to have enough EDR even with being 5ft long. Anything else to look at? Thanks for your help!

Comments

• ChicagoCooperator
    ChicagoCooperator Member Posts: 355
    edited December 2023
    Options
    I think your solution is pretty good. Make sure that you insulate thoroughly (I assume you will be doing something with the existing windows, either replacement or storms?), do the heat loss calc and when installing the radiator make sure that it has sufficient air flow (I think there are diagrams in the museum for radiator covers which will be helpful for your installation) within the cabinetry.
  • AdmiralYoda
    AdmiralYoda Member Posts: 630
    Options
    The steam boiler needs to be sized to be as close as possible to the total EDR of all the radiators.

If you know the total EDR or all your radiators...is it higher or lower than the steam capacity of your boiler?

If you are interested you can perform a heat loss calculation for your kitchen. When you do that you will find out exactly how many btu's it takes at the minimum design temp for your area and convert that to EDR.

You will likely find that the EDR required to heat the upgraded space is less than it used to be. This may provide other options with different radiators.

If all else fails...just keep at what you are doing and try and match the existing EDR.
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 7,922
    Options
    Will this one fit on the long side of the island? It is about 20% less than the one you are removing, but the insulation may make that room need 20% less heat.

https://www.castrads.com/us/product/mercury-3-column-30in-19-sections/#choose-palette

Edward Young Retired

After you make that expensive repair and you still have the same problem, What will you check next?