Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

AO Smith burkay

Options
My AO Smith burkay had been rubbing for 25 years and have been thrilled with it. Very little maintenance if any has been needed over that time. Once in a while a flow switch has needed to be replaced but that was it.
 Recently I've noticed that the out going water has been hitting close to 190°. It seems to me this is causing the temperature control to shut down the boiler till it cools off. Trying to decide if de-liming it will help or is my boiler just out of date

Any replies would be helpful

Comments

• Larry Weingarten
    Larry Weingarten Member Posts: 3,318
    Options
    Hi, Questions. What could be impeding water flow? Might it be limed up, or have corrosion at dissimilar metal connections? 🤔 More flow should cool things down.
    Yours, Larry
  • tim smith
    tim smith Member Posts: 2,763
    Options
    Could be restriction on the header coil combustion side. They get blocked up with crusty green build up. The stuff is pretty nasty so we wear good respirators or N95 dust masks when cleaning. Also aquastat could be going bad or flow restriction. We love Burkays especially for potable hot water. They usually last 25 + years. Sometimes even outlive storage tanks in apt buildings.
  • Yosef Guttman
    Yosef Guttman Member Posts: 11
    Options
    Took out the flow check to see if that was the issue... Still getting to 210 on the way out side. Tried deliming it also no change. Tried rubbing water both ways and seems to have a good flow. Any way for the pump to have gone bad and not pushing enough. You would have thought the flow check valve works have caught that but.... I can test it by taking off the flow valve and running the pump just to see how much water comes thru but at the end of the day even with sitting off on high limit every couple minutes it is heating a1000 gallon tank to 120 and maintaining it so there has to be some water flowing thru it. The students are not complaining of lack of hot water

Flabbergasted in nepa
  • pedmec
    pedmec Member Posts: 978
    Options
    I'm thinking your heat exchanger is plugged due to the rise in temperature. Plugged on the combustion side of HX and when the burner does shutdown the remaining heat in the heat exchanger from the material that is plugging it is raising the temperature of the water. Have you ever had the heat exchanger PM'd?