Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

can I add a new zone with actuators?

Options
Layth
Layth Member Posts: 20
First of all I would like to thank all of the responders that helped me convert my old gravity system to a high efficiency condensing boiler system consisting of three manifolds, two for my high temp radiators ( all home runs and its own thermostat ) and one for my radiant floors ( its own thermostat ) These are driven by two circulators one for the radiators and one for low temp radiant. Which brings me to my next question. My wife is always complaining about how cold it is upstairs ( all radiators) compared to the main floor space ( where the thermostat is located ) I always explain that the thermal gain from the sun on the main floor is responsible for turning off the circulator when the temp on the thermostat is satisfied. This does not help me. So can I fix this with actuators on the second floor radiators or would I need to add another circulator and manifold? Thanks. Tom

Comments

• EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 7,907
    Options
    That depends. Let me look at your old posts to see what you have.

Edward Young Retired

After you make that expensive repair and you still have the same problem, What will you check next?

• EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 7,907
    edited December 2023
    Options
    If I understand you correctly, You have one circulator zone that feeds old cast iron radiators that have smaller tubing than the original gravity piping. Those smaller tubes are home runs from the boiler room manifold to the radiators.

Depending on how the manifolds are constructed, you can place the thermostat on the second floor in a room that is the coldest. Then you can try to reduce the amount of flow to any radiator that is overheating a room. It is always easier to make a radiator give off less heat by covering it up with a radiator cover, or partially closing the valve to restrict the flow of water to the overheating, heat emitter. It is never easy to balance a room that is too cold by closing valves in the rooms that have the correct temperature. It is counterintuitive.

If that is not an option, and you have manifolds that were constructed on site with tees and fittings, and you do not have balancing valves on the manifold's individual take offs, or radiators, then you may need to go with the separate pump/zone for the second floor radiators. Keep in mind that the water is going to take the path of least resistance. If the second floor home runs are a total of 20+ feet longer because the second floor is further away than the first floor radiators, then the first floor will get more heat than the second floor when only one circulator pump is involved.

Hope this helps
    Special Ed.

Edward Young Retired

After you make that expensive repair and you still have the same problem, What will you check next?

• Layth
    Layth Member Posts: 20
    Options
    So, yes I can adjust the flow with my manifolds. These are all insulated pex runs to each radiator, except for the three separate main floor alcove radiators that I combined serially. Other than that all home runs. Time to get out my thermometer and make some changes!
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,567
    Options
    @Layth

What @EdTheHeaterMan posted sounds good to me. Pinch down on the first floor rads especially in the room with the thermostat. Make small changes at a time. The radiant is probably heating the F floor. You may have to move the radiator stat to the second floor but try balancing first. If that doesnt work you can open them back up move the stat and try rebalancing again.