Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

New homeowner with boiler for basement and garage radiant heating

Options
mlg74
mlg74 Member Posts: 4
edited November 2023 in Radiant Heating
Hello all. I have been reviewing this awesome forum because I am a new homeowner with first time owning a boiler system. It is very informative and helpful.

I appreciate any help advice in advance. Home was built in 2005 and I assume the Munchkin boiler (radiant heat for garage and basement) was installed then. System was serviced when we purchased the home (1.5 years prior) and seemed to be working although old.

I recently left for vacation and turned the main water off. After returning and turning water on, I am getting a pr0 code. The pressure gauge is reading exactly 10psi. I am not sure how to increase the pressure within the system to get rid of the code. I think I see the pipe/valve that feeds the system appears open. I don't believe there is a leak because when I close the valve the pressure stays.

Could there be air in the system? It looks like there is a supervent air eliminator. I did notice the small screw off the air eliminator was screwed all the way in/tight. Should this be released. I have attached a few pictures for reference.

Thanks!

Comments

• pedmec
    pedmec Member Posts: 978
    Options
    your system pressure is below the pressure sensor cut in pressure of 12 psi. increase the pressure to the system. where is the pressure reducing valve to the boiler? good chance it is closed or stuck closed. follow the 1/2" pipe that connects to the supervent. it should have been after the backflow because it's normally made of iron. something is set up different with your system
  • mlg74
    Options
    pedmec said:

your system pressure is below the pressure sensor cut in pressure of 12 psi. increase the pressure to the system. where is the pressure reducing valve to the boiler? good chance it is closed or stuck closed. follow the 1/2" pipe that connects to the supervent. it should have been after the backflow because it's normally made of iron. something is set up different with your system

Thanks for the reply! That's what I can't figure out; it is unclear how to increase the pressure because it seems to me that everything is open. Also i can't seem to find a pressure reducing valve (my understanding it is usually bell shaped). The first picture shows the first valve after the main water connection followed by what I believe is the backflow preventer.
  • HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,844
    Options
    Looks like the PRV is at the extrol. Adjustment is facing the wall. 

If you can, pressurize the system, run all zones to verify theyre working, shut down, isolate the loops, and connect a pressure gauge to the radiant manifold. 
    Leave the system off for a few days then check pressure. 
    Daveinscrantonmlg74
  • pedmec
    pedmec Member Posts: 978
    Options
    Good catch on the PRV. I had to blow up the picture to see it. I thought it was just a new tank and water connection fitting. It's like those fittings are being made new everyday. Increase the pressure by rotating the dial. i know that code as i had a first generation munchkin when they came out. There are manual vent, pressure switch, temperature sensors all mounted on the heat exchanger header that you'll need to look at for signs of leakage.
    Daveinscrantonmlg74
  • dko
    dko Member Posts: 607
    edited November 2023
    Options
    Yes to opening the cap on the supervent. It should be open one full turn when system is operating.
    HomerJSmith
  • Daveinscranton
    Daveinscranton Member Posts: 148
    Options
    I had a Munchkin.  Loved that thing.  All was well until it wasn’t.  In my case, it was the low water cutoff.  (  I don’t leave the auto fill / make up water on. )

One pressure switch went in its long life.  The only other problem was the low water cutoff in December.  It was a leak in the heat exchanger that proved fatal to the boiler.  This may or may not be at the root of your problem.  I would prepare for bad news.  (I did not and became the new owner of a different mod/con boiler rather abruptly).  
    Mosherd1
  • mlg74
    Options
    Thanks so much for everyone's input! I will adjust the dial (I believe what you are talking about is the green knob facing the wall) and report back. I plan on keeping the auto fill valve (valve to main water) off from now on; is that recommended or to keep it open? Thanks again.
  • mlg74
    Options
    So i was able to increase pressure in the system. The green knob did not turn, but when I depressed it I heard water swoosh into the system and the pressure jumped up to 16 psi; does this sound correct? Is there a way to decrease with this type of "knob", or what would be the correct way to reduce the pressure?

I turned the valve (valve in first pic before the backflow) off coming from main water at this point to see if pressure holds.