Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Is there a method for changing out an inline system Boiler pump?

Jonesey
Jonesey Member Posts: 11
Three years ago I replaced the motor, but not the flanges/body (black in picture below) on my Weil-McLain boiler. I'd like to replace the entire assembly but I don't know how to unweight the copper line going to the expansion tank (see red arrows)
. Is there a tool that'll slip in or something to unweight the flange and separate it from the system?
Thank you for any help!

Comments

• hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,703
    Why do you want to replace the body?
    A large screwdriver will separate the body, you will need to support the piping from above, somehow
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • Jonesey
    So just support the piping and get a nice size flathead in there huh? That makes sense - thank you. I replaced the motor 3 years ago and it's loud upon startup but then calms down. Do you know if there's a better pump to put in? Perhaps a 007e type high efficiency? I'm not sure if that's appropriate for a system pump on a Weil McClain Boiler.
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,703
    lets see more  of the piping. Where the expansion tank connects. The air purger type.
    static fill pressure?
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • Jonesey
    col
    Cold pressure is ~12psi and hot ~15-17psi
  • HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,998
    Is something wrong with the volute, or flanges? Leaking? If all is good, leave well enough alone. Kind of a tight spot. I would've done the same thing.