Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Pressure Regulating Valve leaking under adjustment screw

Options
nikolay23
nikolay23 Member Posts: 38
I noticed that my toilets and showers were running very loud and measured pressure on main water pipe entrance to the house right before PRV. It was higher then it should've been. I adjusted the screw to lower it and now there is a little water coming out from that top adjustment screw. It is not leaking bad at all and normally shows a little water build up on the screw after few hours. Any suggestions please? Do I need to replace the whole PRV or I can put come kind of sealant to stop it? Thanks in advance

Comments

• Intplm.
    Intplm. Member Posts: 1,975
    Options
    Is this a watts prv? Say a number 25 series? If it is, that leak if slight, will possibly heal over time. If you can check it now and then to see if it goes away or becomes just a mild inconvenience.
    Otherwise, it will be best to replace it.
  • nikolay23
    Options
    Thank you for the comment. Not sure which one this is. Attached is the picture. It is still buidling up a little water on top.
  • Larry Weingarten
    Larry Weingarten Member Posts: 3,306
    Options
    Hi, I'd like to see an exploded diagram of the valve. You may have a leak through the diaphragm, which would suggest a rebuild or replacement.
    Yours, Larry
  • nikolay23
    Options
    Not sure what you are asking here. I am not a plumber. Is there any way I can seal it where the water is coming from with some kind of sealant that works on wet surface? I assume plumbers don't rebuild it nowadays, but simply replace. I will have to find someone to replace it if there is no other option.
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,158
    Options
    Is it regulating the pressure accurately? If not I agree with Larry the there is a cut in the diaphragm. Normally there is no water in that part of the valve. That screw pushes a spring against the diaphragm, water is below the diaphragm
    A rebuild kit may be more $$ than a new valve.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • nikolay23
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your feedback. I had it replaced last night with brand new PRV.
    Intplm.