Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

domestic hot water issue

Options
got a call on Sunday landlord saying he gets hot water in his faucets for few seconds & then turns cold on 3rd flr apartment  , he checked the  D- hot water tank to make sure it's working & it's fine  , any idea what could be going wrong with 3rd flr not getting sufficient heat to the faucets  , I haven't seen the job yet.

Comments

• Larry Weingarten
    Larry Weingarten Member Posts: 3,318
    Options
    Hi, I'd be looking for a crossover between hot and cold, or a recirc line that doesn't have a working check valve in it. First test is to shut off the cold supply to the heater and then open a hot tap. If it doesn't stop running pretty quickly, cold is probably getting into the hot side. If that is okay, turn on the cold supply to the hot water, open a hot tap, and feel the recirc line where it connects to the tank. If it cools off, you know cool water from the bottom of the tank is running backwards through the line.

Yours, Larry
  • nytech28
    nytech28 Member Posts: 67
    Options
    ok I will test what you described,but i feel that there is no recirc- line or recirculation pump if that's what your referring , 2 pipes on this tank, cold water in & hot water out with city pressure .
  • Mad Dog_2
    Mad Dog_2 Member Posts: 7,044
    Options
    Hot & Cold water sandwich....Is this a Tankless Water Heater?   Mad Dog 🐕 
  • nytech28
    Options
    it's a  basic tank that holds 40-60 gallons of water .
  • Larry Weingarten
    Larry Weingarten Member Posts: 3,318
    edited November 2023
    Options
    Hi, That limits things to a crossover, though I'd still do the test. Do you know what brand of faucets and shower valve are in the unit? Some older cartridges can allow crossover. I'd also check to make sure they didn't add a shutoff valve on the shower arm, or some-such.

Yours, Larry

ps, is there a tempering valve installed?
    Mad Dog_2
  • Intplm.
    Intplm. Member Posts: 1,981
    Options
    Seems like a cross-connection of some sort as mentioned previously.
    You will need to investigate any changes in the plumbing system. And I mean any changes, like a hose connection wye connector installed at a sillcock or laundry. Or a shower valve or faucet that is crossing the hot to / cold to hot?
    A failed or failing check valve?
    This is usually something that is easily overlooked and not thought of as significant.
  • nytech28
    Options
    will check them, aprecaite the time & info
  • Mad Dog_2
    Mad Dog_2 Member Posts: 7,044
    Options
    We find Commercial type T & S Brass Kitchen sink Faucets will allow a Cross-connection if the little spring checks fail.  Mad Dog 🐕 
    Intplm.
  • nytech28
    Options
    ok i.ll check then out thanks