Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Navien combi boiler running continuously

mh330
mh330 Member Posts: 2
Have a Navien NCB 180E combi boiler installed. Its producing hydronic heat run to an air handler as well as DHW. However, i realized that when i set my thermostat to "fan on" with the system set to "off" just to circulate some air, the Navien is kicking on and sending hot water to the blower to maintain its min temp of 140. Asked support and they said to make sure dipswitch #7 is set to down for zoned heating which it is. So i have 2 concerns:
1. When summer comes and i want to use my a/c (which uses the same air handler) will the navien continue to send 140 degree water to the air handler and fight my a/c? Its too cold now for me to turn my thermostat to "cool" and try it out to see what the navien will do, as i don't want to stress my condensor.
2. Is the navien supposed to hold water constantly at 140 in a sort of "standby" mode waiting for the thermostat to request hot water to the air handler, and does that mean i'm wasting fuel? When i do set the thermostat to "heat" the navien maintains the circulating water at 140 so this is its normal heat/operating temp.
Anyone know why my Navien seems to be set to "always on" hydronic heat and how to get it into a "standby" mode?

Thank you!

Comments

• Rich_49
    Rich_49 Member Posts: 2,768
    What air handler do you possess that REQUIRES 140* SWTs ? Heat transfer will take place until everything is EQUAL . I have many HVAC (lol) friends who swore you needed that temp water and have since learned that 140* is the highest they need during colder temps and that 100* water is plenty sufficient at higher outdoor temps .

The summer should not be an issue if the Outdoor sensor is installed and WWSD programmed .
    You didn't get what you didn't pay for and it will never be what you thought it would .
    Langans Plumbing & Heating LLC
    732-751-1560
    Serving most of New Jersey, Eastern Pa .
    Consultation, Design & Installation anywhere
    Rich McGrath 732-581-3833
    Mad Dog_2
  • mh330
    mh330 Member Posts: 2
    I don't know that it requires 140 degrees, that's just what the Navien default setting is (as far as i know).

Don't have an outdoor sensor installed.
  • Teemok
    Teemok Member, Email Confirmation Posts: 652
    edited November 2023
    The thermostats G terminal is what sends voltage to activate the fan only. How your system is wired is the issue. Most air handlers have a G terminal that just turns on the fan only. How the pump is activated and how the boiler is called to for heat needs to be checked for good logic.
    Mad Dog_2
  • Rich_49
    Rich_49 Member Posts: 2,768
    edited November 2023
    mh330 said:

I don't know that it requires 140 degrees, that's just what the Navien default setting is (as far as i know).

Don't have an outdoor sensor installed.

Well get that installed asap . That boiler and others like it ( mod cons ) are pointless in the grand scheme of things , without it
    You didn't get what you didn't pay for and it will never be what you thought it would .
    Langans Plumbing & Heating LLC
    732-751-1560
    Serving most of New Jersey, Eastern Pa .
    Consultation, Design & Installation anywhere
    Rich McGrath 732-581-3833