Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Safety Information: U.S. Boiler High-Altitude Gas Boilers

Erin Holohan Haskell
Erin Holohan Haskell Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 2,347
Here's a message from U.S. Boiler about required product modifications for high-altitude gas boilers.

To: owners of following models, installed at altitude greater than 5,400 feet above sea level;
  • U.S. Boiler ES2 models ES23, ES24, ES25, ES26, ES27, ES28, ES29 (with or without “-N” or “-P” suffix)
  • U.S. Boiler Series 3 models 303, 304, 305, 306, 307, 308, 309 (with or without “-N” or “-P” suffix)
  • U.S. Boiler X-2 models X-202, X-203, X-204, X-205, X-206, X-207, X-208, X-209
  • New Yorker CG-E models CG30E, CG40E, CG50E, CG60E, CG70E, CG80E, CG90E
  • New Yorker CG-F models CG20F, CG30F, CG40F, CG50F, CG60F, CG70F, CG80F, CG90F
  • Advantage models AG3, AG4, AG5, AG6
  • FORCE models FORCE02E, FORCE03E, FORCE04E, FORCE05E, FORCE06E, FORCE07E, FORCE08E, FORCE09E
  • Archer Boilers Lancer models LCR-2-038, LCR-3-068, LCR-4-102, LCR-5-136, LCR-6-170
Thank you for your purchase of one of the above boiler brands. Our factory and engineering teams always strive to provide customers with superior quality products, and as part of that process, we periodically perform tests to help ensure our products meet or exceed all applicable standards and safety requirements. As part of these tests, it came to our attention that under certain circumstances on some of the above listed boilers, the boiler could fail to shut off when the flue vent is blocked and carbon monoxide could be emitted into the space around the boiler. Although no incidents or issues have been reported, it is important
that these units receive a field modification as soon as possible.

Click here to read the full notice.

President
HeatingHelp.com

Comments

• JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,180
    I read thru the full notice and wondered why these same boilers do not have a problem at 5400' or less.

My best guess is that above 5400' that there being less O2 for burning would not enough heat be produced in the event of a plugged flue to trip the plugged flue heat sensor??

So is the fix to install a lower temp rated flue temp sensor??

Curious minds want to know....
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,989
    @JUGHNE I confess I did not read (well I just did but that's a waste of time) it but at higher altitude less 02 =more C0.

The notice doesn't really tell you a thing except what boilers are involved. It would seem they could provide more information. That looks like and "owners notice" what they are telling contractors is something else would be my guess.

Maybe someone like @Mad Dog_2 who like Burnham will respond.