Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Better way to control this system?

netkick
netkick Member Posts: 9
I moved into a house with what seems to be a complicated heating system. The bedrooms tend to be colder than other rooms in the house, so the previous owners installed auxilliary baseboard heat. There was also a 4 season porch added (no ducts) and a finished basement (no ducts).

I'm looking for recommendations for any better methods of controlling the system; right now I feel like the various thermostats are competing/conflicting with each other. Here's what I currently have.

Boiler: Viessmann Vitodens 200W
Main Heat: Forced Hot Air, Hydro Air (VHBXB-HW)
Other Heat: 1) Radiant Floors 2) Hydronic Baseboards

There are currently 7 thermostats in the house that are all independent of each other.

Thermostat #1 - Forced Hot Air (Whole house except 4 season porch and basement)
Thermostat #2 - Mudroom - Radiant Floor (Also has one forced hot air duct)
Thermostat #3 - Bedroom - Baseboard (Also has forced hot air ducts)
Thermostat #4 - Bedroom - Baseboard (Also has forced hot air ducts)
Thermostat #5 - Bedroom - Baseboard (Also has forced hot air ducts)
Thermostat #6 - 4 Season Porch - Radiant Floor (main heat, no forced hot air ducts)
Thermostat #7 - Finished Basement - Baseboard (main heat, no forced hot air ducts)

Right now the Hydro Air is on one zone circuit on the boiler, set to 145 degrees. All of the other zones are connected to a second zone circuit on the boiler which is set to use outdoor reset (which I'm not quite sure how that works with all of the various thermostats). All thermostats are set to fixed temperatures rather than scheduled setbacks.

Is there a solution that would allow more synchronized/central control of the various zones? What could be done differently to simplify control of the house's heating system as a whole and/or make things more efficient?

Comments

• Big Ed_4
    Big Ed_4 Member Posts: 2,891
    The system should be designed to heat the home to 68* the coldest day of the year . The outdoor reset modulates the hot water supply temperature output down for the milder days . That's good ...

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,703
    Both forced air and hydronic systems need to be balanced. There may be dampers in the duct, or do some balancing at the registers

Assuming it was sized and installed properly

If supplemental heaters have beed added it sounds like the forced air is not up to the task
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream