Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

DIY’er Boiler Repairman.....Circulating Pump keeps running

Otiss
Otiss Member Posts: 1
This all started off with me trying to remove air in my lines.
I replaced the Air O/Mist auto air vent that was not working. Then when I put water back into the system the pressure relief valve would not stop leaking. So I ended up replacing that. Guess what..new pressure relief valve leaked. After a bit more research I found out the expansion tank was old and filled w/ water and not working properly. So I have replaced that. I have drained and filled the system three times now. Then I noticed the circulating pump was not stopping as it runs continuously. I believe a relay is the issue?

I know enough to be dangerous so me and electricity keep our distance.
The on/off switch for my circulating pump has a brown wire coming out of it.
Does this lead to the relay?
I have attached three images for reference. Any help is much appreciated.

Comments

• ScottSecor
    ScottSecor Member Posts: 873
    edited November 2023
    I do not see a pump relay in your photos. I do see a step down transformer that likely "converts" 120 volt power to 24 volt power. This 24 volts likely powers the gas valve, aquastat (water temperature thermostat) and the house thermostat. I suspect the circulator is powered all the time, unless you turn that wall switch off. I suspect the thermostat (and the aquastat) must be calling for heat for power to reach the gas valve and light the main flame.

In most similar heating systems the thermostat ties to a pump relay, which in turn sends a signal to the boiler (gas valve and aquastat in your case). You could certainly add a pump relay, but I'm not certain the materials and labor are worth the effort in your case.

Having the circulator run constantly is not unheard of. Yes it wastes electricity on warmer days. Yes I suppose the pump may not last as long as others. But your not cycling that pump twenty times a day either.
    CBRob
  • ScottSecor
    ScottSecor Member Posts: 873
    By the way, welcome to the wall @Otiss
  • Teemok
    Teemok Member, Email Confirmation Posts: 652
    Some old systems have a constant running circulator that is shut off by the wall switch during warm season. That brown wire looks like your 24v thermostat wire. Having a relay Installed for the pump would be a good idea if there's not one hidden somewhere.
    CBRob
  • HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,998
    Show the left side of the boiler.
    Where does the circulator wire go?