Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Amtrol Hot Water Maker: Keep Rolling the Dice?

Options
CTYankee
CTYankee Member Posts: 9
edited November 2023 in THE MAIN WALL
My Amtrol Hot Water Maker (Mod. WH-7P) has been in service for around 34 years and it is still going strong. Not wanting to push my luck too far, I am thinking about replacing it before the inevitable happens. Questions:

1. Replace with another Amtrol? I am impressed with the longevity of this product, and this let me to searching for an Amtrol replacement. I was surprised to see mixed reviews with quite a few folks complaining about leaks in the first few years of service. Should I consider Amtrol as a replacement and if so, what model would be best?

2. If Amtrol is not a good choice, what Brand/Model would you recommend?

FWIW: this tank has its own circulator and runs independently of the boiler, which has a triple acting aqua stat. I plan on connecting the new tank to my Taco relay and selecting the DHW priority mode.

Comments

• EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,629
    edited November 2023
    Options
    There are a lot of good brands. Some use stainless steel tans as well. A lot depends on your water quality. if you have good luck with Amtrol you could use one again. Amtrol was one of the first manufacturers to make in directs I believe.

Reading reviews most people only do reviews when they have had a problem. You don't here about the good ones.

If it was me I would wait until the old one quits. It might run 10 more years as long as you are still getting good HW.
    MikeAmann
  • rick in Alaska
    rick in Alaska Member Posts: 1,457
    Options
    The only problem I ever had with those as far as the tank goes, was a restaurant with bad water hammer, and two where the control quit, and it way overheated.
    However,I have had a lot of them where the digital control failed. The old school manual dial was a lot more reliable.
    Rick
  • Intplm.
    Intplm. Member Posts: 2,007
    Options
    There have been so many of these installed. ( Arguably more than so many others combined. )
    You are bound to get negative or mixed reviews about this product.