Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Aluminum High Voltage Wiring

2»

Comments

• EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,989
    I have never seen aluminum fail either. As you know the branch circuit wiring that failed in the 60s & 70s houses was due to using receptacles and switches not designed for aluminum conductors. Not the wires fault.

Aluminum has been used on pretty near all overhead services and branch circuits for stoves and dryers for yeas and years with no issues.
    Solid_Fuel_Man
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 16,097
    I have never seen aluminum fail either. As you know the branch circuit wiring that failed in the 60s & 70s houses was due to using receptacles and switches not designed for aluminum conductors. Not the wires fault. Aluminum has been used on pretty near all overhead services and branch circuits for stoves and dryers for yeas and years with no issues.
    And power lines / transmission lines which in my opinion see huge temperature variations.  Some see -30 to the hot sun hitting them all day in the summer under load.

The fact it's been used in those applications for decades if not almost a century suggests it's perfectly fine when used appropriately.

Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,703
    I wonder about feeding steamers like that through a "salt less" water conditioner. The TAC type that claims to keep the minerals suspended, instead of the ion exchange. You should convince one of your customers to try that.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
    Alan (California Radiant) Forbes
  • Solid_Fuel_Man
    Solid_Fuel_Man Member Posts: 2,646
    hot_rod said:
    I wonder about feeding steamers like that through a "salt less" water conditioner. The TAC type that claims to keep the minerals suspended, instead of the ion exchange. You should convince one of your customers to try that.
    I put one.of those in for a customer (they supplied it) and his wife said their dishes were just as cloudy after installation as before. I read up on them, keylation I think it's called. 
    Serving Northern Maine HVAC & Controls. I burn wood, it smells good!
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,703
    Ive trued them also on potable water, had the same experience 

The cloudy glass could indicate the  minerals have been held in suspension. So that could be a plus inside the boiler?
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
    Solid_Fuel_Man