Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

3/4 Sarco v-12 rad return gizmo circa 1938 ?

neilc Member Posts: 2,663
I need some help,
building is from 1938, may have / likely started as steam,
hot water now,
all rads have Sarco v-12 rad return gizmos on them,
2 aren't flowing, they have in the past, and seem intermittent now,

anyone have literature on these?
how they work?
there is a packing, and slotted stem on the top,
stems turn, don't seem to thread up or down,
I am assuming a ball valve type needle, ??

called Sarco, they don't go back that far,

known to beat dead horses


  • bburd
    bburd Member Posts: 869
    That looks like a quarter turn balancing valve. It works the same as a gas cock. When the slot is parallel with the pipe it is open, and when the slot is perpendicular to the pipe it is closed.

  • neilc
    neilc Member Posts: 2,663
    that's what I thought also,
    7 work fine, slot aligned with flow,
    2 don't work, slot aligned as the 7,
    I need pictures of inside before I open them up
    known to beat dead horses
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,397
    edited November 2023
    I think there is a little ball in there that the stem adjusts the travel of. If it is what i think it is, it is a type of water seal steam trap. there are other threads on sarco systems if you search for them, google seems to work better than the integral search.
  • neilc
    neilc Member Posts: 2,663
    this place, HeatingHelp, is too cool,
    it's a SarcoFlow, a balancing valve,
    pg 6,
    just a big ole slotted ball valve,
    I told Sarco I would call them back when I found it here so they would know,
    known to beat dead horses
  • neilc
    neilc Member Posts: 2,663
    Google searched
    sarco v-12 site:heatinghelp.com
    thankyou @mattmia2
    known to beat dead horses