Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Banging vertical riser pipe

mob1345
mob1345 Member Posts: 4
We have had an issue in our section of the building  our vertical al riser piper bangs like heck when the heat comes up .I have been asking the landlord to address this issue for 4 years. They check my section of the riser and the pipe is fine it not lose or damaged. The heat pipes for tge apt above us which are in our ceiling  make noise when the heat comes up in one room it sound like a bunch of ping pong ball bouncing on our ceiling  over our kitchen that heating pipe bangs . I have has HPD here to write the landlord up .This is fustrating as heck .It's very noisy and wakes people up . It's so loud you can hear it out by the staircase .They have been renovating apartments over the last few years  where they are putting down all new heating pipes and adding additional  radiators roughly 4 or 5 to a renovated apt compared to our older apartment where we have only 2 radiators . Any suggestion .I already asked for the water level to be checked supposedly that is ok .

Comments

• Big Ed_4
    Big Ed_4 Member Posts: 2,891
    edited November 2023
    A water hammer it is what it call , the noise created when steam comes across a puddle of cool water . The sound of the steam imploding . You need to find the puddles....

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• It sounds like you have a steam system (not a hot water system). Do you happen to know if it’s a 1-pipe or 2-pipe system? A picture of a radiator showing the pipes would help. 
    8.33 lbs./gal. x 60 min./hr. x 20°ΔT = 10,000 BTU's/hour

Two btu per sq ft for degree difference for a slab