Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Upgrading lines to 45 radiators

Options
Jiggitus
Jiggitus Member Posts: 1
edited October 2023 in Radiant Heating
I have a building here in South Carolina with 45 radiators in a 4 story building. All radiators have dedicated supplies and returns that are from a main supply and return trunk lines in the crawlspace. 

We just had a couple couplings go out on us. Rotted thru. We are seeing the signs that the lines and valves need to be replaced. Couple of questions.

1) can I replace up to the trunk lines with uponor? 

2) can I temporarily mega press these (painted) galvanized lines until the season is over. 

3) where do yall prefer to get your thermostatic valves ordered. No one here in Columbia sells regularly and I would rather deal with an online company or a reputable northern company to purchase all new valves.

i know I will have more questions but after a 45 coupling cracked on the top floor and rained 4 stories down today while the kids slept at 6 in the morning, im scrambling to make sure they have heat and i can have myself and my plumber respond quickly and smart as these issues happen until we upgrade the valves and lines.

Also if someone who is fully experienced in hydronic system has time and knowledge to spare. I am looking to FaceTime or callwith someone from time to time that maybe would work with me on an hourly basis. 

I have a boiler company (who mainly works on commercial systems) and I have a plumber and a handyman. There’s just some knowledge gaps down here in the south.

Comments

• leonz
    leonz Member Posts: 1,154
    edited November 2023
    Options
    If you do not mind talking to a homeowner that has dealt with
    a hot water baseboard heating system for 45 years I can help you.

How old is this building, was it built before the Charleston Earthquake?

Is there an attic in the building with an open to air expansion tank
    with a vent pipe through the roof for gravity hot water heating?

Does each radiator have an air vent to allow bleeding of trapped air in the
    individual radiator?

An overhead hot water heating system does not require bleeding of air as there
    is no trapped air in the system.

Is the heating system in your building a bottom fed gravity hot water heating system
    or does it use forced hot water circulation or for each apartment in the building?

If it is equipped with circulators for forced hot water circulation through the radiators
    how many circulators are there?

Are the radiators in your building plumbed with O-S fittings and restrictor plates for
    controlling the flow of hot water into the radiators to properly distribute the flow of
    hot water for heating?

Are the radiators on each floor plumbed with an overhead hot water delivery
    system that feeds the top floor radiators first and then feed the 3rd floor and
    then second floor and finally the first floor before it drops to the basement
    return header to the boiler sump?

Is/are the boiler or boilers in the crawl space or in an exterior addition on the building?

How is the domestic hot water system handled in your building??
    Do you have an electric hot water heater for each tenant or is there a domestic hot water
    circulation system to each apartment?

If you are near Charleston it would be easier to obtain plumbing supplies from a large local
    plumbing supply house quickly.

• WMno57
    WMno57 Member Posts: 1,330
    Options
    Steam or Hot water?
    I DIY.