Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

troubleshooting a zone valve

Options
t300
t300 Member Posts: 33
This valve appear to be stuck just shy of fully closed, almost like there is a piece of something stuck inside. Is this common? I can manually open/close it but it seems to stop 1/16-1/8" shy of fully seated. Installer did not put in adequate maintenance loops so it will be a pain to shut down the system, drain and address. Is it common for something to block valves from fully closing? I'll probably want to have another valve ready to replace if I get this taken apart and its NOT a physical obstruction.

To make it more fun as seen in my other thread, poor phyical piping is such that this zone is my central heat for the house (forced air furnance) so constant bleed through keeps heating my house when I don't want it to be.

Comments

• t300
    Options
    actually thinking about it more, when I turn on the boiler, the piping right after this zone valve gets extremely hot very quickly, same as any other zone that is open. So even though using the manual lever it feels like the valve is closing, is it possible that the actual physical valve is always stuck open, and the tension I am feeling is just the actuator motor? To ask it another way, if the valve is stuck open, would opening and closing via manual lever feel the same tension as a working valve?
  • GGross
    GGross Member Posts: 1,050
    Options
    Considering that the boiler is not piped correctly, and it now has 2 pumps pumping right at that zone valve it very well may have trouble closing.
  • t300
    Options
    I should have clarified that the manual lever stops short of fully closed even with the boiler fully powered off which is what leads me to believe the valve itself is also having issues
  • t300
    Options
    So doing a bit of research, thought I'd check this valve availability and price to prepare myself if I get someone to come take a look and possibly replace. I can't find anything on company 'NCOF' and besides that seems impossible to find a 1 1/4 motorized valve with NPSC fittings. Anyone recommend a replacement for this? Another stroke against this install/installer. :(
  • t300
    Options
    Root cause was that for a while these specific zone valves had plastic gears. Fix is to replace with updated metal part from manufacturer
    Lyle {pheloa} Carter
  • t300
    Options
    TUrns out it wasn't the gears. physical valve itself is bad or something jammed inside, so its getting swapped out. During all this also had the system repiped to primary/secondary.