Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

The Great Jablonski & Mad Dog 🐕 Collaboration

Options

Comments

• Mad Dog_2
    Mad Dog_2 Member Posts: 7,096
    edited October 2023
    Options
    I did this job going on 17 yrs now.  My pipe work has stood the test of time and still looks great but the Buderus GB-142 got old & tired even with fastidious annual cleaning by me and then Jablonski.  As we have seen, The factory 🏭 made manifolds under the boiler leaked and got crusty.  In any case, the system performed great and saved the client oodles of energy compared to the old Steam boiler, plus oversized HW boiler PLUS  a large gas water heater that we ripped out.

To make a Long story short, the Client had paid a very large deposit back then for a Viessman to an unlicensed, very unscrupulous Long Island 🏝 "plumber" whom the general contractors that he worked for called "The Butcher."  He lived Large, Cigarette Boats and all....

The guy never used a Hole saw or Wood boring bit in his life...In The Butcher's World, The Sawzall was King! (Dan Holohan inspired words!)  The GCs liked him though because he was a low baller and showed up en masse with his Motley Crue...ready to smash & bash...Rock & Roll....Baby 👶!!!

Anyway, like our client, he skipped out on her and dozens of other hapless folks and moved to Florida and bought a huge boat and house on Marco or Sanibel Island.  At that time, we were Buderus guys as they were quite a bit more affordable. So, we went with the GB with Very good results.

17 years later, the Client is getting her Viessman Vitodens & Vitocell at last!  When I packed in Full Time Operations at Triple Crown and went back to the Big City and The "Onion," I introduced all my Buderus & Best clients to The Great Jablonski and handed off the ball.

They were in really good, capable honorable and talented hands. I had a few healthy offers by Big, Local companies to buy my company name & phone #, client list....Nah son....my legacy of the highest quality craftsmanship & service was more important than that.  

So, this is a before shot. Vitodens on the floor. We will cut out the rotted Buderus Manifold, boiler, and Tank (nothing wrong with it...anyone want it free?  It will be at the curb soon. PM me. ), change the Flue pipe, add the Vitocell, New Caleffi appurtenances, a little repiping.  Really looking foward to working side by side with a great & humble mechanic.  I'll keep youse (Brooklyn-Queens 'eese ") posted as we progress.  Mad Dog 🐕 
    GGross
  • Mad Dog_2
    edited October 2023
    Options
    Is nice having room to layout your board...that's rarely the case.  I took full advantage of the open basement 17 yrs ago...glad I did.  We"ll be getting a visit from Uncle Richard and The Young Hydronic Whiz, James English..of ALL ISLAND RADIANT of Smithtown...along the Way..The Radiant, Snowmelt & Viessman Kings of Long Island. (I remember when he was born!!) Stay Tuned.  Mad Dog 🐕 
    GGross
  • GGross
    GGross Member Posts: 1,065
    Options
    If you haven't done a startup on one of the new Viessmann yet, when it asks if you want to use "app" or "HMI" HMI just means setup with the boiler control (human machine interface lol) You will love the way you convert fuel on them, you just select your fuel type on the screen, that's it. Probably my favorite part though is connecting the indirect directly to the boiler and being able to use the internal pump for the indirect, makes for a really clean install
    Mad Dog_2Alan (California Radiant) Forbes
  • Mad Dog_2
    Options
    Were in to it now...Old Buderus Down, Vitodens Mounted, Vitocell in place starting to pipe., Flue pipe being redone.  Pictures to follow later today.  The Lady of The Manor is really happy to have us there...it's so nice to be appreciated for your High Standards.  Mad Dog 🐕 
    GGross
  • Mad Dog_2
    Options
    I told The Great Jablonski he can do Pull ups on that Caleffi LLH header...its part of those house now.  You could tie off a Racehorse to it...ain't comin out!  Mad Dog 🐕 
    hot_rodGGross
  • Mad Dog_2
    Options
    The Great Jablonski contemplates the Bust of Homer. Vitodens Mounted, New PP flue and combustion air done.  That puppy weighs ALOT more than the Buderus GB! Temporary heat and HW....Mad Dog 🐕 
  • Alan (California Radiant) Forbes
    Alan (California Radiant) Forbes Member Posts: 4,034
    edited November 2023
    Options
    Is that a Viessmann B1HE? I put one in my basement June 2022 when my Munchkin died and have been very happy with it. I tied it into my 15 year old 50 gallon Viessmann Horicell indirect tucked in my crawlspace.
    8.33 lbs./gal. x 60 min./hr. x 20°ΔT = 10,000 BTU's/hour

Two btu per sq ft for degree difference for a slab
    Mad Dog_2
  • Mad Dog_2
    Options
    B2 HE...Its a long story, bit this HO was signed up with a Renegade, Flash in the pan, shyster the whole industry called "The Butcher".  Boy, could he sell jobs though!
    He took a 10 K deposit for a Viessman (this was 17 yrs ago) and never came back. He was a Scorched Earth Guy..Ran out on huge supply house bills, Customers and fled to Florida.

So, in walked me. Major Long Island Buderus installer for a number of years. I too, might have been a Viessman man back then, but despite all the training classes, et cetera, trade events...rah rah rag speeches,  many of the leads (No...we don't funnel leads to anyone!!!!  Ok..whatever! ) went to hacks like this.  Saw this time and again, so We stuck with Buderus which was 1/3 to half the $ of a Viessman too.  

So, 17 years later we are giving her, her Viessman!   Mad Dog 🐕 
  • Intplm.
    Intplm. Member Posts: 1,993
    Options
    Mad Dog_2 said:

The Great Jablonski contemplates the Bust of Homer. Vitodens Mounted, New PP flue and combustion air done.  That puppy weighs ALOT more than the Buderus GB! Temporary heat and HW....Mad Dog 🐕 

Hey!! That's my seat!
    Mad Dog_2
  • Alan (California Radiant) Forbes
    Alan (California Radiant) Forbes Member Posts: 4,034
    edited November 2023
    Options
    Hey @Mad Dog_2: Y'know, I always installed the upgraded 200-W series Vitodens boilers because I liked the user interface much more than the 100-W series, but when the latest ones came out, the local rep. called me and said that the 200-W should only be used with hybrid systems that have mixing valves, solar or other accessories that involve advanced logic.

So, I've only been using the 100-W so far.

Maybe @GGross can chime in on what he knows.

BTW, thanks for the photo. I now have you in my database.

8.33 lbs./gal. x 60 min./hr. x 20°ΔT = 10,000 BTU's/hour

Two btu per sq ft for degree difference for a slab
    Mad Dog_2Intplm.
  • GGross
    GGross Member Posts: 1,065
    edited November 2023
    Options
    What Viessmann calls the "E series" or the new B2HE or B1HE B1KE are all very similar now. There are 2 chassis sizes 85/120 (small) and 150/199 (large) the internals are the same across the board for same chassis size boilers, with the exception of the combi. Both have Lambda Pro plus, which was the big selling point for the 200 series in prior years, this is most likely why Viessmann has pushed the 100 much more recently.

There are still some fairly noticeable control differences between the two, the 200 series control is quite the upgrade, I still have a few that like to use it for the upgraded control, these are usually installed in jobs like mad dog is doing currently. The 200 control has built in cascade features, and can control viessmann accessories like mixing valves, it has the heating curve display right on the screen like the previous 200 series. If you have used the CM2 control, or the new CI2 control it is very similar to that, full color touchscreen very nice.

One neat feature that I don't see used often enough, the entire control enclosure can be relocated to the top of the cabinet. It can be a little confusing the first time doing this as you need to detach the plastic "light bar" from the control itself and turn it around, and the harness that is plugged into the enclosure will have to be moved the other plug on the back of the enclosure.

The extra weight of the unit comes from the front and back plates of the heat exchanger being made out of stainless steel now instead of aluminum, as well as a fixed baffle inside the heat exchanger. These were the 2 most requested features for Viessmann to implement from service techs, however the install crew is now learning that added weight can certainly be noticed!
    Mad Dog_2Alan (California Radiant) Forbes
  • Intplm.
    Intplm. Member Posts: 1,993
    Options
    Nice work. Very nice.
  • Mad Dog_2
    Options
    All done...The Lady of the Manor was thrilled ...even tipped us!!  We gave her temp heat & HW with electric HWHs...kept the chill out of the house.  I'm glad 17 yrs ago I took plenty of wall space to fit everything in.. We needed it!  

We have another Similar job With The Vitodens to quote soon.. Next!. Mad Dog 🐕 

GGrossAlan (California Radiant) Forbes