Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Existing Basement Slab Radiant Retrofit WARMBOARD vs GYPCRETE vs BASEBOARD

Options
Whitefaceadk
Whitefaceadk Member Posts: 9
edited October 2023 in Radiant Heating
Hello hydronics experts : looking to reno my own home for once... I have an existing concrete slab in my basement; 9' ceilings with 5' underground. Northern NJ (temps go down to 20*F regularly and periodically into the teens) - I can either go with tubing onto the bare, uninsulated concrete and pour gypcrete over or use warmboard under floating floors. My alternative is to just leave the baseboard... I understand I'll lose without insulation, but feel it may still be more efficient and comfortable than baseboard? Thinking once that slab of concrete gets up to temp during the winter it should hold somewhat? Or will it lose to the ground and not be worth it? Of course warmboard is selling no insulation like no biggie and it will still be much more efficient... Thoughts? MANY THANKS IN ADVANCE.......... :)

Comments

• hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,251
    Options
    How often do you use that space? Radiant floors would be a nice system, but $$

doorways and stairs might need to be adjusted with any floor any build up over 1/2”

Panel radiator are a nice easy to retrofit option. Same quiet radiant heat, just from the walls instead of the floors
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • Whitefaceadk
    Whitefaceadk Member Posts: 9
    Options
    I have never looked into the panel radiators. One of the rooms will be an office, the other a living area space, another a full bath with W/D - so quite often. Panel radiators are quite nice as well. My main concern is no having insulation below the tubing and warming mother earth. I have about 1" to make up, which is why I thought of 13/16 warmboard, but no insulation. If I'm going to spend $$$ on the radiant installation upfront, and then $$$ to operate it, the latter defeats the purpose and is a deal breaker.
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,251
    Options
    There are plenty of basements that are heated without radiant floors or slab insulation. Even with forced air from the ceiling!
    It really comes down to what you prefer and the budget to get there.

It will cost X amount of dollars to warm the space regardless of how you heat it..with radiant floors you get warm feet
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream