Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Is this a normal gas fireplace pilot?

lbeachmike
lbeachmike Member Posts: 195
I noticed a lot of heat over the gas fireplace from just the pilot. This looks and sounds like a very large pilot to me. Is this normal?

Video link: https://photos.app.goo.gl/xADek2ztfBBzJTvc7

retiredguy

Comments

• Intplm.
    Intplm. Member Posts: 2,122
    Looks good. Sounds good.
  • lbeachmike
    Intplm. said:

Looks good. Sounds good.

The pilot flame is supposed to be that intense? It looks like it would be consuming a ton of gas. It should not be a smaller flame?
  • Intplm.
    Intplm. Member Posts: 2,122
    From the picture, the flame is a nice color blue and seems to surround the thermal couple nicely as per design.
    Electronic ignition is a conversion option. You can get in touch with the fireplace manufacturer if you do not want a constant flame.
    Mad Dog_2
  • lbeachmike
    Intplm. said:

From the picture, the flame is a nice color blue and seems to surround the thermal couple nicely as per design.
    Electronic ignition is a conversion option. You can get in touch with the fireplace manufacturer if you do not want a constant flame.

This unit is in a rental property and seems to drive up the gas bill without any actual fireplace use (comparing summer usage.) How expensive is it to convert to auto-ignition? It was only a $500 unit.
  • Mad Dog_2
    Mad Dog_2 Member Posts: 7,354
    Sorry we don't discuss pricing here. Every gas log Ice seen has a standing pilot like that.  You could shut the gas in the summer but create other problems like spiders nests and condensate of the flue that could rot it out.  Its not using aa much as you think.  I'd leave it Be.  Mad Dog 🐕 
  • lbeachmike
    Mad Dog_2 said:

Sorry we don't discuss pricing here. Every gas log Ice seen has a standing pilot like that.  You could shut the gas in the summer but create other problems like spiders nests and condensate of the flue that could rot it out.  Its not using aa much as you think.  I'd leave it Be.  Mad Dog 🐕 

Thanks MD. Did you get to look at the video? Pilot looks normal to you?
  • Mad Dog_2
    Mad Dog_2 Member Posts: 7,354
    Video won't play for me, but still photos look fine.  Mad Dog 🐕 
  • lbeachmike
    Mad Dog_2 said:

Video won't play for me, but still photos look fine.  Mad Dog 🐕 

Did you click the video link? It's just a shared video from Google photos. It may take a few seconds to load.
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,989
    Looks ok to me.
    Mad Dog_2
  • Bob Harper
    Bob Harper Member Posts: 1,067
    Hard to tell from pics. I'm not going to sign on to vids. Appears to be a ventfree logset. If so, this is an Oxygen Depletion Sensor (ODS) safety pilot. They burn about 1,600 BTU/hr. Refer to the rating plate. If it shows a listing to ANSI Z21.11.2b, it's ventfree and an ODS pilot. Can you provide better pics of the pilot and rating plate?
  • lbeachmike
    It is a vent-free unit. Is that all the info you were seeking from the ratings plate? This is in a rental property, so I can't easily get additional pics - though I can lookup any info based on the model number.

I didn't realize that Google photos shared video would you require any login. I set permissions to "anybody with access to the link." I can change it to a YouTube video so it is accessible - it provides a much clearer picture of things.
  • Bob Harper
    Bob Harper Member Posts: 1,067
    If the rating plate is not attached, do not attempt to service or operate it. If the tag is attached, use it as a reference for the make and model to get the manual for installation, operation, maintenance and parts information. The unit must be set up exactly as prescribed in the manual or shut it down and remove it.