Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Indirect water heater compatibility

CBRob
CBRob Member Posts: 276
edited October 2023 in THE MAIN WALL
I want to add an indirect to a triangle tube boiler being used for snowmelt.
I run cryotek AL at 40% and a pH of 8

The triangle tube smart series seem to lack some of the features and quality that other indirect tanks have.
What is the high end of the product line up, and will they like my pH and glycol?

What is the preferred way to connect dhw piping to the indirect? I know that the dielectric union is a no-go.
Is this a good spot for brass union?

And I'll plan on looking for a thermostatic mixing valve so I can keep the tank at 140f and get more out of the system.

Comments

• hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,703
    Any indirect will be ok with that system fluid. Different opinions on the "best" indirect. I've had the best luck with steel glass lined tanks. Most brands offer options, stainless, stone lined, glass lined steel. Anode rod maintenance will provide for a long lasting steel tank.

Copper or stainless flex lines are another way to connect water supply. In a seismic area, nice to have some flex :)

Plenty of installers screw a copper to female adapter on the tank nipples. I doubt you ever use the union or dielectric unions until the tank fails. If you use a steel tank they all come with dielectric nipples that seem to work better than dielectric unions. The scale tends to plug dielectric unions.

Elevating tank temperature does extend output, but at the cost of a shorter tank life and more mix valve deliming. The hotter the water the more minerals precipitate out.

Here is a free calculator at Lochinvar.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
    Larry Weingarten
  • CBRob
    CBRob Member Posts: 276
    Thanks a bunch.
    @hot_rod