Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

identify M-Honeywell mixing valve stem re-packing

Options
I have a large house completed in the 1940's, started in the 30's, radiant hot water heating. I believe the mixing / proportioning valve is from the same time frame, the brass body is stamped "M-H" on one side, "2" on the other side. The valve has 3 each 2"ID NPT threaded in/outlets, outer dimensions are approximately 6-3/4" tall from the lower machined face-plate (hot inlet) to the upper machined face-plate where the actuator stem comes thru. The horizontal dimension is approximately 5-7/8" face-to-face across the A to A-B in/outlets.

The upper actuator side has what appears to be a 1.5" hex threaded brass nut holding the (badly rusted) ?honeywell Q601 or prior? valve linkage frame (to a ModuTrol IV drive) to the mixing valve body. Machined into the brass ?PACKING? nut, is a 3/4" diameter x 0.3inch thick brass fitting (total thickness is 0.6" tall with the 7/16" wrench surface included). This has the 1/4" diameter brass actuator rod running down thru it, appears to have a 3/4" travel top-to-bottom in operation.

The valve still modulates the water temperature headed to the radiant heating coils, but has a steady relatively small leak around the actuator rod. The actuator rod appears to be in relatively good condition, at least to the extent that I have been able to see below the ??packing?? nut. I expected to see a machined surface inside the valve but perhaps I am looking at more collapsed packing material. I did pull out 3 pieces of what MAY be the remains of an iron compression spring, or possibly ?thin tapered washers?, the fragments are magnetic so probably was not stainless.

Question #1, what model valve is it, I assume it is a Minneapolis-Honeywell design?
Question #2, what would have been the correct re-packing kit?
Question #3, suggestions on what to replace the ?original? packing stack with??, e.g. I may spring for a Honewell 0901796 repack kit since the V5013 kinda sorta looks close with the 1/4"D stem.

Many thanks in advance for your help, it has been a real eye-opener reading thru Mr. Holohans books on physics and thermodyamics....DWStrickler

Comments

• ScottSecor
    ScottSecor Member Posts: 864
    Options
    Where are you located. I suspect that due to the age of the valve and the actuator, parts are no longer available. I do know of good supplier that can probably cross reference your valve, but they only deal with contractors (tradespeople).
  • Alan (California Radiant) Forbes
    Alan (California Radiant) Forbes Member Posts: 4,034
    edited October 2023
    Options
    I have a customer with the same setup, but I have never had to fix a leak.

You can probably buy some off-the-shelf graphite packing that would work. It comes in different thicknesses.

8.33 lbs./gal. x 60 min./hr. x 20°ΔT = 10,000 BTU's/hour

Two btu per sq ft for degree difference for a slab
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,734
    Options
    You can buy a much larger variety of packing from mcmaster-carr. Usually there is a washer under the packing to contain it at the bottom, that may be the fragments you pulled out, you may need to replace that with a new washer. Stainless wasn't very common in the 50's so that probably explains the steel. The MH on the valve stands for Minneapolis Honeywell, it was what Honeywell was called through sometime in the 50's or so after a merger around the teens.