Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Alta Combi into an Indirect Tank?

Options
Jeepdoc
Jeepdoc Member Posts: 12
Hello. We're currently having a new boiler installed as the previous, 30yr old boiler cracked.  We are also making the switch to propane.  We went with our installers recommendation, an Alta Combi and an indirect water tank.
Now that the install is partially completed, plumbing the combi into the indirect water tank seems odd.  The indirect tank will be receiving hot water from a 5th "heat zone" into the coil as well as hot water from the DHW outlet of the boiler and into the cold water supply port of the indirect tank.  This seems like it may be an inefficient way to set the system up but I don't know enough about these systems to know.
Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.  Thank you.

Comments

• hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,201
    Options
    A combi and an indirect? What’s the thinking with this setup?
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
    JeepdocSuperTech
  • Jeepdoc
    Options
    The setup has us scratching our heads.  From what I've been reading the indirect would typically be used with a boiler and not with a combi.

We're worried we won't be getting efficient use of the new system.  I'll be asking the installers about it today and reaching out to the sales guy for some answers.  I was hoping to get some thoughts from this forum to make sure my question isn't way off base.
  • Hot_water_fan
    Hot_water_fan Member Posts: 1,870
    Options
    A combi is a boiler, but the point of a combi is space savings with the downside of low DHW capacity. The indirect gives you the high DHW capacity, but now you’re using something probably very oversized and with more parts for nothing. 
    Jeepdoc
  • Jeepdoc
    Options
    Here a pic of the install so far.  Inlet to the indirect tank's heat exchanger from the heating side of the combi and inlet to the supply side from the DHW part of the combi.
  • Hot_water_fan
    Options
    Did they explain why they didn’t just install the heating only Alta?
    JeepdocSuperTechGGrossAlan (California Radiant) Forbes
  • Jeepdoc
    Options
    They haven't explained it yet.  The company that designed the system and is doing the install is a pretty big name in Southern NH.  We went with their recommendations.

The only reason I noticed this possible issue is that the cold water in one of the bathrooms wasn't working last night after they left so I went down to the utility room to see if I could turn it back in.  As I was looking at the install it didn't seems to make sense, hence the question I posted.  

When they get here this morning I will ask them to walk me through the system and voice my concerns.

My nonexpert feeling is that we have more gear than we need and they are making it work (what hot_water_fan said).  Which was is not what I was expecting.
  • Hot_water_fan
    Options
    It’s something so out there, the installation manual probably doesn’t even say not to do it! Because why would anyone even think of it. 
    Jeepdoc
  • SuperTech
    SuperTech Member Posts: 2,172
    Options
    I like the use of the indirect tank.  In general I usually prefer see one installed instead of a combi. But I've never seen the two together, very strange.  The Alta is a fine boiler. They should have installed the heating only version with the indirect as a priority zone with its own dedicated circulator. 
    Jeepdoc
  • Jeepdoc
    Options
    Yeah, if it's correct or not it's certainly unique! This configuration is not mentioned in the Alta install manual and a fair amount of Google searching didn't turn up any similar installs.
  • hot_rod
    Options
    I think it will wok alright, but not sure of the reasoning?
    so the indirect is a “hot” preheat tank to the combi?
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
  • Jeepdoc
    Options
    Not quite.  The way it's connected the combi is putting hot water into the storage tank.  So the combi is preheating water going into the tank and then the tank will be maintaining the temp.  

The way you wrote it is an interesting idea, it seems like that would provide nearly limitless hot water at a pretty high flow rate.
  • Hot_water_fan
    Options
    Not quite. The way it's connected the combi is putting hot water into the storage tank. So the combi is preheating water going into the tank and then the tank will be maintaining the temp.

The way you wrote it is an interesting idea, it seems like that would provide nearly limitless hot water at a pretty high flow rate.

An indirect attached to a boiler does the same thing without this extra labor and parts.
    JeepdocSuperTechGGross
  • Jeepdoc
    Options
    That's what I suspected.  I should have paid a little more attention to what was being proposed.

Other than added initial cost of equipment and install do you think this will cause a loss of efficiency long term?  It seems like preheating the water to be stored and then maintaining that temp of that heated water might use more fuel (albeit a small amount).

Thank you for the feedback.  It is greatly appreciated.
  • Hot_water_fan
    Options
    I think efficiency losses for DHW will be lost in the noise. It does mean you'll have a larger boiler than you need, so short cycling will be worse.
    JeepdocSuperTech
  • yellowdog
    yellowdog Member Posts: 157
    Options
    you are basically paying to heat your hot water twice with this setup.
    Jeepdoc
  • Jeepdoc
    Options
    The installers are here now.  I asked them if they install a lot of systems like this... Combi and Indirect tank.  They said the do not and that this was unique.  I've got to call the sales guy and get an understanding for the system.
  • SuperTech
    edited October 2023
    Options
    Jeepdoc said:
    The installers are here now.  I asked them if they install a lot of systems like this... Combi and Indirect tank.  They said the do not and that this was unique.  I've got to call the sales guy and get an understanding for the system.
    At least they were honest with you.  It sounds like the sale guy made a mistake and the installers cobbed together what was given to them. Maybe they will do the right thing and put a properly sized heating only Alta in. Although if @hot_rod thinks it will be OK then perhaps it will.  He's more of an expert than I am. 
  • Jeepdoc
    Options
    The supervisor came by for something so I asked him about the system.  He says they install them like this so the DHW out of the combi boiler is a backup in case the indirect tank fails.  We won't be with our hot water.  That sounds a bit far fetched to me.  Plus, it's not plumed that way.  The hot water out of the DHW port on the boiler is going into the Superstor tank.  More investigation needed...
  • Hot_water_fan
    Options
    Is it so hard to follow the manufacturer's instructions?
    SuperTech
  • SuperTech
    Options
    Is it so hard to follow the manufacturer's instructions?
    I'd like to think that the engineers who design boiler and make the installation manual know better some supervisor about how the boiler should be installed. 
  • Jeepdoc
    Options
    So I spoke with the sales rep that sold the system.  He said they install them like this so there is back up hot water in the event the indirect tank fails.  The DHW loop on the combi would be normally off until the needed when the bypass valves would be switched and hot water would come from the combi DHW port.

The installers were a bit confused so I'll need to confirm with them that it is plumed properly to achieve the desired result.

As far as the back up hot water goes, if I had caught it earlier I think I would have opted for a standard boiler and indirect tank.  I don't know how often these Superstor units fail but I'm not sure I really need a contingency for that.  

Thanks for all the feedback.  I certainly learned a lot during this process.
    Alan (California Radiant) Forbes
  • GGross
    GGross Member Posts: 1,060
    Options
    I'm not shy, I'll say it. that is crazy talk. You don't sell someone a combi boiler as a backup for an indirect that is fired by the same boiler. The most likely component to break is the boiler, and if that goes you don't have hot water with either method. Indirect water heaters are so rock solid most of them come with a lifetime warranty, and generally the boiler (not sure on this specific one) has programming to more efficiently handle an indirect, that you would have to lose due to the programming difference being a combi
    Hot_water_fanJeepdoc
  • Jeepdoc
    Options
    GGross, I completely agree and I'm definitely disappointed that I didn't catch this sooner.  To complete the picture the boiler is an Alta Altac-136b tied to a 60 gallon Superstor.
  • hot_rod
    Options
    So a pump runs to circulate from the combi hx to the indirect?
    Or hot water only flows into the indirect when a faucet runs?

Every time you flow 
    through a HX you take an efficiency hit.

Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
  • GGross
    GGross Member Posts: 1,060
    edited October 2023
    Options
    Yeah I am pretty curious to see the whole install at this point
  • Alan (California Radiant) Forbes
    Options
    I've never seen this kind of installation. Novel. I think someone made a boo boo.

I would try to disable DHW on the Alta and document how you did it in case you want it back.
    8.33 lbs./gal. x 60 min./hr. x 20°ΔT = 10,000 BTU's/hour

Two btu per sq ft for degree difference for a slab
    GGross
  • hot_rod
    Options
    You take a pressure hit across those combi plate exchanger also. They are purposely sized for low flow for the boiler to keep up. And cost.

The higher the flow the more pressure drop. Plus occasional delime maintenance 
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    WMno57
  • Alan (California Radiant) Forbes
    Options
    So, they piped the combi and indirect in series? If they wanted to safeguard against DHW interruption, I would suggest a parallel installation with appropriate valving.
    8.33 lbs./gal. x 60 min./hr. x 20°ΔT = 10,000 BTU's/hour

Two btu per sq ft for degree difference for a slab
    GGross
  • Jeepdoc
    Options
    So the install was finished last night.  We have heat and hot water.  With the additional piping that was added the DHW ports of the combi boiler are in parallel with the indirect hot water tank.  Here is the full system and a close up of the DHW piping.