Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Love these Long Radius Fittings...

Comments

• Mad Dog_2
    Mad Dog_2 Member Posts: 7,354
    You can't get them everywhere, but I knew Help-Yourself-Depot would have em!  You save a joint and they look so cool...Mad Dog 🐕 
    PC7060MikeAmann
  • Mad Dog_2
    Doing the Drainage waste & vent is always my favorite part of a rough.  You can be creative and must be working with 100 yr old wood joists.  Its not like commercial where every floor is typical and you can often use the same measurements all the way to the top.  After the 3rd floor, you've memorized the pieces.  Mad Dog 🐕 
    realliveplumberBenDplumber
  • realliveplumber
    realliveplumber Member Posts: 354
    edited October 2023
    So when I look at that long turn fitting, when oriented in that horizontal position, the sweep sure is long, but the heel is almost like a tee. The solids are basically dropping into the back (bottom) of the fitting, there not flowing around it like a wye and a 45.

If it was oriented vertically, the branch certainly flows down that long sweep.

Plus arent they pricey?

Nice clean work though.

Whats with that corrugated aluminum on that 22 by the linesets?
  • realliveplumber
    realliveplumber Member Posts: 354
    I could be wrong, but I do not think they have any baffle?

• Mad Dog_2
    A Baffle? 'Splain???  I politely disagree.  The nice long radius sweep rolls the waste more gradually than a Wye and 1/8th bend which kinda bangs things up against the pipe wall.  I've taken out old worn fittings that were carved out at the point of direct contact where the force is concentrated  at the bottom of the Horizinal pipe.  

I liken it to throwing a bowling 🎳 ball...the Wye and 1/8th bend is similar to launching the ball 12" off the alley vis-a-vis rolling it smoothly out of your hand and immediately contacting the alley...

That being said, a Wye and 1/8th bend is more usual Go to...always better than a Sanitiary Tee (Tee Wye) in the flat which I see all too often.  Nice discussion.. Nah..not really expensive and you're saving a joint (Leak point) which is nice when you have to do away Water column test for an inspection, plus less glue and primer used!!  Mad Dog 🐕 
    GGross
  • Mad Dog_2
    No linesets..its mostly radiant and homeruns to Buderus Panel Radiators Installed many moons ago.  The former Homeowner was Kim, a Big Time City Architect,  for a Huge Mulitple National Firm. She wanted perfection and was willing to pay for it.  She was one of my top 3 favorite Clients of all time! This was the only bathroom we didn't change.  The new folks are great and have two young kids.  

Its really cool to be able to work for the second Homeowner in a Row who appreciate my work.  Little things like individually venting all the fixtures, running 2" instead of 1 1/2" for the Bathtub and Lavatory sink...they appreciate that.  MD Dog 🐕 
  • BenDplumber
    BenDplumber Member Posts: 49
    Got that lettering lined up! Wet venting the closet off the shower/tub branch?
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,703
    We used those long sweep combos on horizontal piping runs. A nice flow path without a glue joint in the middle.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
    Mad Dog_2
  • Mad Dog_2
    edited October 2023

Everything will be individually vented. The SS flex was the Homeowners temp for the vent stack in case it rains. Mad Dog 🐕 

• kcopp
    kcopp Member Posts: 4,462
    In New England they are commonly referred to as a Boston Tee Wye.
  • Mad Dog_2
    We call this a Boston...they are really just a wye & 1/8th Bend with no joint. The PVC fitting I posted up there is really a Long Sweep with a back inlet....no 45 degree angle .I use them all, but I like these better.  Mad Dog 🐕