Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Do I have condensation?

knkreb
knkreb Member Posts: 13
I have a boiler that was opened up to be cleaned. The tubes appear to be coated in black, but not the powder soot black you would expect in an oil fired boiler. This is a hot water Bryan Boiler that runs hot water on reset with the low end temp of 145°F. They were sized for expansion of the building, but they are oversized in the end because they cycle on low fire on the coldest of days. They "seem" efficient as far as not running a real high stack temp, but at 145F, this one was running a 330F flue temp.

Comments

• EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,989
    Don't think it is condensation
    knkreb
  • ScottSecor
    ScottSecor Member Posts: 873
    Looks like the tubes are covered with a very light coating of soot, with the exception of the bend in the tubes. I would guess the bend in the tubes was up against something, perhaps a target wall or some sort of insulating blanket?

If you rub the straight part of the tubes does the dust fall off?
  • knkreb
    knkreb Member Posts: 13

Looks like the tubes are covered with a very light coating of soot, with the exception of the bend in the tubes. I would guess the bend in the tubes was up against something, perhaps a target wall or some sort of insulating blanket?

If you rub the straight part of the tubes does the dust fall off?

Yes, it does come off. The bends are up against the insulation on the side panels.
  • ScottSecor
    ScottSecor Member Posts: 873
    I would not worry about it, looks fine to me. Maybe brush and vacuum off the tubes, can't hurt.