Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Bad Motor or bad ST9103A1002?

Options
jhaluska
jhaluska Member Posts: 2
I need help diagnosing my problem. The setup Honeywell ST9103A1002, R7184B and AF2.

The motor doesn't seem to be turning (can't prime it) and the fan circulates continuously. I have confirmed the limit has continuity and R7184B is not in lock out. I checked the transformer and have ~28V output on it.

I think a relay failed on the ST9103A1002 board, but I'm unsure how to confirm it and that the motor is working ok. What should I do next?

Comments

• SuperTech
    SuperTech Member Posts: 2,172
    edited October 2023
    Options
    Lennox furnace? If you don't have a volt meter to check voltage to the fan motor you can remove the heating fan speed wire from the board and temporarily jump it out to L1 coming into the board to see if Thales fan comes on. Does the furnace fan run if you turn the fan switch on the thermostat to on from auto? A bad capacitor could also prevent the furnace fan from operating. 

Actually it sounds like the burner motor not operating.  I would try to reset the primary control.  If that doesn't work I would call your oil burner service provider. 
    jhaluska
  • SuperTech
    Options
    If the primary control doesn't need to be reset and the blower runs continuously that could be a stuck open high temperature limit switch.  Usually a plugged air filter causes that
    jhaluska
  • STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,505
    Options
    Simple fix. Call someone who knows what they are doing. It's easy enough for a properly trained tech to troubleshoot the equipment with a meter.

There was an error rendering this rich post.

SuperTech
  • jhaluska
    jhaluska Member Posts: 2
    Options

Simple fix. Call someone who knows what they are doing. It's easy enough for a properly trained tech to troubleshoot the equipment with a meter.

It's also easy enough for me to properly troubleshoot it with my meter. The problem was intermittent so it was a little confusing. I didn't bother with further checking the pump once I realized what was going on.

The problem was a broken solder joint on the connector ST9103A with the limit. This makes the limit appear open when it's not. Another board fixed it and a simple soldering job will likely repair the old board.

GrallertSuperTechCLamb
  • SuperTech
    Options
    jhaluska said:
    It's also easy enough for me to properly troubleshoot it with my meter. The problem was intermittent so it was a little confusing. I didn't bother with further checking the pump once I realized what was going on. The problem was a broken solder joint on the connector ST9103A with the limit. This makes the limit appear open when it's not. Another board fixed it and a simple soldering job will likely repair the old board.
    Great job finding the problem!
    jhaluska