Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Caleffi 573019A check valve

mattmia2
mattmia2 Member Posts: 10,211
@hot_rod , is the check valve in the outlet of a 573019A, the prv part itself, replaceable or serviceable? Mine isn't filling the system and it seems it is the final outlet check valve that isn't passing water somehow. The system pressure isn't even reading on the gauge.

I also discovered the diaphragm in the expansion tank had failed, I had to remove it to get the PRV out and it sounded sort of sloshy and chunks dumped out of it, air just went right through when i tried to check the precharge.

This all started with me flushing the dirtmag and thinking wait, i didn't hear water come back in.

It is currently running with home depot's finest chinesium water heater expansion tank filled with a hose through a drain.

Comments

• hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,703
    If you have a backflow upstream of the fill valve, you can remove that PRV check. Should be a snap ring holding it in.

In some countries that check in the PRV passes as a backflow device.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
    mattmia2
  • mattmia2
    Thanks. I was trying to get the snap ring out with a couple screwdrivers but in hindsight needle nose pliers probably would have grabbed it. I'll try that but i won't do it until I have a new valve on hand because I don't want to have to fill it with a hose again.
  • mattmia2
    The check valve was stuck shut. It came out in one piece the first time then i put it back in after unsticking it and broke it taking it out a second time. Everything inside looked pristine, there wasn't even anything in any of the screens. It is like the seat of the check valve attracted the minerals in the water and glued the valve to the seat with scale:

I like that the new version uses o-rings instead of gaskets and i like that the new version uses o-rings instead of gaskets. I'll let you figure out which one of those is sarcastic :) The gaskets i ordered were backordered so I figured I'd use the gaskets from the spare valve I ordered just in case it wasn't the check valve. The gaskets were already leaking from when I took it apart trying to fix it earlier. I ended up cutting new gaskets from some plastic sheet gasket I had for all 3 gaskets.

Suddenly everything has isolation valves now. My 49 year old eyes like this gauge a lot better than the one Caleffi supplies:

It was a false alarm on the expansion tank. The gurgling i heard was just air trapped on the water side when i started charging it because it had lost all its charge. When testing it every time i unscrewed the cap air came out so the schrader leaks a little.

This is what it looked like before: