Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

What is the main power source for hydronic baseboards- electricity, h2o, or gas (to heat h2o)?

jgk381
jgk381 Member Posts: 4
edited October 2023 in THE MAIN WALL
I recently moved into a new apartment and was under the asumption that it had gas heating before moving in, because I'm pretty sure the leasing manager told me that heat was included in the $30/mo gas fee that I'm paying. But after moving in I discovered that it is heated by hydronic baseboards instead, and now I'm wondering who is paying for the monthly energy costs to run it because I pay a flat $30/mo gas and $40/mo water, but I pay all the electricity usage in my unit.

So I'm trying to figure out if the bulk of the energy used is in the water/gas (which wouldn't cost me any more than I'm already paying) - or if the bulk is in the electricity?

And regarding the electricity, is the bulk of it used by the baseboard unit itself, or by the boiler that is heating the water?

Because if the main cost is the electricity or gas powering the boiler, then that is located in a different part of the building and would be paid by my landlord. But if the main cost is in the electricity powering the baseboard itself in my actual unit, then I would be responsible as it is connected to my power.

I realize the easy solution is to ask my landlord, but it's the weekend and I won't be able to ask til Monday, so I thought maybe I could figure out the answer if I know more about how the energy is used in these systems.

Thanks

Comments

• Hot_water_fan
    Hot_water_fan Member Posts: 1,971
    Baseboard can either be electric (powered at the baseboard with no water) or gas or electric powered at a boiler and distributed using water. If he said gas, that’s what it is. The water isn’t related. 
  • psb75
    psb75 Member Posts: 883
    A gas-fired boiler heats the water that circulates through your baseboards. There is probably one boiler in the building heating other units. Unless the landlord is metering your unit specifically, your $30/mo. is probably an estimate. Your water bill is for the domestic water coming in to your apt. What you don't mention is how your HOT water is made. It's either by the gas boiler, or possibly by electricity. You should find out. Hot water use is a significant use of energy--laundry, kitchen and bathing.
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,989
    Hot wate baseboards are heated by either an electric, gas or oil-fired boiler. Electric is not very popular for heating in most locations (except Canada which has cheap electric power generated by hydropower). In the US most systems are gas or oil fired. If you don't have oil the fuel is more likely to be gas. Ask the landlord.