Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

insulating (reinsulate) and supporting my line sets on my heat pumps

Options
Hi everyone. The insulation on my heat pump line sets is failing, crumbly, lots of exposed copper, and it is choked-to-death by wire ties, pipe straps, etc. I bought some k-flex or armaflex insul-lock overlapping UV-resistant foam noodles. I do believe 'noodle' is the proper phraseology.

1. The one copper line - the bigger one - is insulated, right, and I've never seen the smaller one insulated. Should it be insulated? Is there a TLDR type explanation why the smaller line isn't insulated?

2. Is there any hidden reason to NOT reinsulate the line set myself? I mean, I've kinked more than my fair share of copper tube over the years so I'm going to be mindful of that, but I can't help but think there is something else I'm not considering here.

3. I would like to support the newly insulated lines without crushing them and I don't really see an obviously smart way to do that. I was going to support the high voltage and low voltage lines separate from the copper lines, which should help, but I could use a suggestion for supporting the insulated lines.

I was thinking of using small sections, like 6", of 3" PVC cut in half, like u-channel, and secure with, idk, ... hangar iron? There has to be a better option for support without crushing the insulation.

Thanks
DIY'er ... ripped out a perfectly good forced-air furnace and replaced it with hot water & radiators.

Comments

• EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,550
    Options
    The larger line is the "suction" line when cooling and it will sweat if not insulated. It also becomes the "discharge" line in heating and gets really hot so for both those reasons they should be insulated. The small line (liquid line) is usually just warm and is normally not insulated.

They make pipe hangers with sheet metal saddles but they are mostly used on commercial jobs.

What you propose to do with the split PVC is as good as any other way
    Boon