Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

This is a fitting

Options
Teemok
Teemok Member, Email Confirmation Posts: 496
edited April 28 in Domestic Hot Water

Is it a rogue, counter culture, problem, uncouth fitting? Nope, it's just a fitting.
It's made for one thing and some may recognize it. It fits into a water heater heating element hole and converts it to FIP. Not an easy find. Is it a discouraged fitting? Maybe it is. It allows for connections that some desk sitters don't want made. If you didn't know, now you know. What you can do with it is up to you. You can figure out the sizes. I've not had one fail or leak. The first run in is tight. Anti seize or just T paste. SS is what I have but brass would work.
One of my hero's is Robert De Niro's character in the 80's movie "Brazil" The great Harry Tuttle. This post is in his honor. Central Service guys, don't waste your time. In keeping with Tuttle's style, comments will not be responded to. News papers swirl up into the air and he's gone.

GroundUp

Comments

• GroundUp
    GroundUp Member Posts: 1,918
    Options
    I've been using those to adapt BSP to NPT for 15 years now. Typically on a radiant manifold. But now you've given me a good idea to use some leftover manifold valve/union/thermometer tailpieces on my next water heater buffer tank application.
    mattmia2GGross
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,200
    Options
    Is it plated? Maybe for a radiator valve adapter.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
    mattmia2
  • Alan (California Radiant) Forbes
    Options
    I don't like yellow. Does it come in other colors?
    8.33 lbs./gal. x 60 min./hr. x 20°ΔT = 10,000 BTU's/hour

Two btu per sq ft for degree difference for a slab
    reggiLRCCBJEdTheHeaterMankcopp
  • Shorttoy
    Shorttoy Member Posts: 1
    Options

Where can I get these….would be a great item for the poor man buffer tank..

Teemok
  • DCContrarian
    DCContrarian Member Posts: 105
    Options

A little trick I've picked up: the pitch of BSP is the same as NPT, but the thread shape is different so they won't go together. However, if you run a BSP male fitting through an NPT tapping die you can shave enough to get them to go together, especially if the fitting is a soft metal like brass that will deform a bit.

BSP seals with a rubber washer, as shown. Depending on the situation you may need to keep the washer.

• LRCCBJ
    LRCCBJ Member Posts: 136
    Options

BSP threads have the same pitch as NPT only in 1/2".

I would not recommend attempting to utilize a 1/2" NPT male adapter which will easily thread into a BSP 1/2" FIP fitting. The o-ring cannot effectively be utilized and it will eventually leak. Learned this the hard way. Get the proper transition fitting.

• EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 7,908
    Options

I think that California covers that under the Lemon Law, so you are stick with that color

Edward Young Retired

After you make that expensive repair and you still have the same problem, What will you check next?

• DCContrarian
    Options

1/2 and 3/4 are both 14 TPI in both BSP and NPT. BSP is slightly larger than NPT, NPT male into BSP female is going to leak. What I'm saying is that if you have BSP male you can rethread it into NPT male. I wouldn't do this on a fixture because it's kind of risky but if you have a BSP to BSP fitting and can't get the adapter to NPT you need, this is a way.

• Intplm.
    Intplm. Member Posts: 1,979
    Options

And I just thought it was a lemon?

• DCContrarian
    edited April 25
    Options

This site says different: https://www.machiningdoctor.com/charts/bsp/

I happen to have a 3/4" BSP-G female fitting sitting on my desk next to the computer. A 3/4" NPT male fitting screws into it easily.

The BSP fitting is on the left, if you look you can see the threads are shaped differently from the NPT fitting on the right, they're flat across the tops and the NPT ones are sharp.

• DCContrarian
    Options

I can't figure out how to get that picture not to be squeezed but if you click on it you can see the original version.

• WMno57
    WMno57 Member Posts: 1,323
    edited April 25
    Options

please delete

I DIY.
  • WMno57
    edited April 25
    Options

fixed. please delete.

I DIY.
  • Erin Holohan Haskell
    Erin Holohan Haskell Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 2,313
    Options

We're troubleshooting this. Thanks for your patience!

President
    HeatingHelp.com

• WMno57
    edited April 25
    Options

fixed. please delete.

I DIY.
  • Tom_133
    Tom_133 Member Posts: 886
    Options

Has anyone mentioned where to get them?

Tom
    Montpelier Vt
  • DCContrarian
    Options

For simple same-size straight BSP to NPT the best place I've found is Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0BHDNYVKN/ref%3Dppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1

or

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0BPHBGBWK/ref%3Dppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1

More complicated size-changing or elbows you can sometimes find on Ebay. Often the fittings don't come with rubber washers but I find US-size ones work fine.

Hydronics is more popular in Europe than in the US, so there is a much better selection of radiators and fan coil units from European manufacturers. But they all have BSP fittings.

I got into re-threading BSP when I had a radiator with 3/4" BSP that I needed to connect to 1/2" PEX while making a 90-degree turn, all in a couple of inches. I couldn't figure out how to make those transitions without at least three fittings, which wasn't going to fit. I got a 3/4" BSP to 1/2" BSP male adapter, rethreaded the 1/2" side to NPT and screwed that into a 1/2" NPT/PEX elbow.

• Intplm.
    Intplm. Member Posts: 1,979
    Options

I must admit from looking at the pictures and reading into this post I have actually had this type of fitting in my hands and installed it probably numerous times and didn't know what it was. I just thought it was another adapter or fitting. And no leaks so far.

@Teemok a very informative post.