Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Like a boy with new Toy Blocks & Erector set at Christmas ๐ŸŽ„

Comments

• Mad Dog_2
    Mad Dog_2 Member Posts: 7,354
    To me this is great fun...Getting harder to get my favorite Lead x PVC bends.ย  Special order.ย  Had to buy two!ย  Mad Dog ๐Ÿ•ย 
    Long Beach Ed
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 16,097
    edited October 2023
    Curious.
    What's the reason for gluing lead into PVC? Does the glue actually stick to the lead?

Why not use PVC for this application?
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 10,211
    Did you wipe that in to a pvc coupler?
    EdTheHeaterMan
  • Mad Dog_2
    Its a factory epoxy...I prefer this connection for the following reasons:

1) I can't stand PVC closet flanges or the metal ring type.ย  I've see the metal ones rust off after 10 years and the pvc ones get brittle an snap off...NOW YOURE SCREWED!

2) a Lead bend isย  very tight dimensionially, yet a nice ๐Ÿ‘Œ radius for flow.ย 

3) I can roll a lead bend on unorthodox angles (where fittings can't)ย  to avoid cutting floor joists.ย 

4) I leave a 6" x 12" pvc sleeve around the lead bend so the tile guy doesn't bury me like the always seem to.ย  When Mud job and tile are complete, I can wiggle out the sleeve and now I've got ample room to kick the lead in any direction I want to dial in my wall distance gap to the tank.ย  Every bowl is different and there's nothing I hate more than seeing 2"s between the back of the toilet ๐Ÿšป tank and the wall!!!

5) The Brass closet flange soldered to the lead bend will likely hold up longer than the pvc itself...time will tell.ย ย 

That's why I love ๐Ÿ’˜ lead bends. Mad Dog ๐Ÿ•ย 
    ChrisJmattmia2WMno57Long Beach Ed
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 16,097
    Mad Dog_2 said:

Its a factory epoxy...I prefer this connection for the following reasons:

1) I can't stand PVC closet flanges or the metal ring type.ย  I've see the metal ones rust off after 10 years and the pvc ones get brittle an snap off...NOW YOURE SCREWED!

2) a Lead bend isย  very tight dimensionially, yet a nice ๐Ÿ‘Œ radius for flow.ย 

3) I can roll a lead bend on unorthodox angles (where fittings can't)ย  to avoid cutting floor joists.ย 

4) I leave a 6" x 12" pvc sleeve around the lead bend so the tile guy doesn't bury me like the always seem to.ย  When Mud job and tile are complete, I can wiggle out the sleeve and now I've got ample room to kick the lead in any direction I want to dial in my wall distance gap to the tank.ย  Every bowl is different and there's nothing I hate more than seeing 2"s between the back of the toilet ๐Ÿšป tank and the wall!!!

5) The Brass closet flange soldered to the lead bend will likely hold up longer than the pvc itself...time will tell.ย ย 

That's why I love ๐Ÿ’˜ lead bends. Mad Dog ๐Ÿ•ย 

Thank you for that.
    Curious, have you ever used a heat gun or torch to bend / flex PVC pipe?
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • Mad Dog_2
    Yes..a few times if I had to put a kick on a waste pipe.ย  Mad Dog ๐Ÿ•ย 
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 10,211
    ChrisJ said:

Curious, have you ever used a heat gun or torch to bend / flex PVC pipe?

I've done it with PVC conduit.

• EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 8,326
    I have bent steal in my bare hands on occasion!

Click on Spoiler

Edward Young Retired

After you make that expensive repair and you still have the same problem, What will you check next?

Mad Dog_2