Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Old School hydronics layout

CBRob
CBRob Member Posts: 276
edited October 2023 in THE MAIN WALL

In this type of design how is the pressure to flow through the radiator generated?

I can see how there might be a slight pressure change on either side of the radiator but it would be slight.
I've seen similar setups with a pressure differential bypass that would send flow primarily through the radiator.

This one seems like it would only go through the primary loop when the bypass valve is open.
The secondary loop does not have a pump.

What am I missing here?
Is that bypass valve normally open?
Close it partially?
Thanks 👍

Comments

• CBRob

Real life version.
  • GroundUp
    GroundUp Member Posts: 2,007
    It's a bypass valve, not an open loop. That valve stays closed or throttled, which forces flow through the radiation
    CBRobSTEVEusaPAmattmia2MikeAmann
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,703
    From a cold start you adjust that bypass so the boiler sees at least 130 on the return connection within 10 minutes.

Lot of conflicting advice about piping those copper boilers. At one point they told us 120 return was adequate. But that was not always the case.

Finally RayPak , a competitor to Laars, added a bypass and valve from the factory.
    The manual may tell you how to adjust the bypass?
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • CBRob
    That sounds so confusing and easily messed up by one curious homeowner and a valve.
    Makes me appreciate the simplicity of today's modcons.
    I found some guidelines for adjusting the bypass valve, and even old school they liked the primary/secondary option.
  • CBRob

• mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 10,211
    Primary secondary doesn't guarantee return temp protection, you could have a high mass zone that is cooling the boiler loop below condensing temps.. A thermostatic bypass is better than a fixed bypass.
    CBRob
  • hot_rod
    What is the date on those installation sheets? I don't recall that bold P/S suggestion in the manuals back in the early radiant days? They cover return protection nicely in that sheet, offering options and precautions. All non con boiler manuals should include that verbiage

I agree with @mattmia2 primary secondary does not necessarily provide return protection. Their thermostatic "union" is still the best absolute protection, in my opinion.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    CBRob
  • CBRob

That was the closest manual I could come up with for this laars mini therm.
    Belongs to a friend of mine, plans to replace it before winter. Has a mod con boiler and an direct water heater in the works to replace it.

• CBRob

• hot_rod
    In some manuals I see it with two valves, one to restrict the supply after the bypass, and the bypass valve also. You had to play with both valves to gety the bypsss dialed in. it just depends on the system it is connected to.

Laars asks for a full size bypass. The RayPak had a tiny 1/2" bypass with a valve. So solutions are all over the map for return protection suggestions.

Copper tube swimming pool boilers have a thermostatic disc built into the header between return and supply. I recall some installers using pool boiler in the early days, for radiant, since they had protection built in. Cost less than hydronic boilers also. I think our local inspectors shut that down, no ASME tag on them.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    CBRob