Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Weil McLain lgb 6-23 stuck gas valve

leaking
leaking Member Posts: 49
edited October 2023 in THE MAIN WALL
I have a 10 yr old Weil McLain Lgb 6/23 the Pro repair man yesterday said the gas valve appears bad , it tries to fire, pilot is lit. Parts maybe not until Monday or later Chicago. Valves are Honywell V8944n1061, and Honywell V8943a. I am asking to get heat now, can these valves be tested , manually opened , made to work now? Just to get some heat? He tried a new igniter box Honywell s8610U . It is used for steam, I think the double valve and controls are for two stage water . 

Comments

• mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 10,211
    what makes them thin it is the valve and not that it is failing to prove the pilot that is lit? there should be some sort of error indication in the control that will help narrow it down
  • leaking
    I can see the pilot is lit, the tech said the valve. I was hoping to do something to get heat today even just a one time big shot. 
  • leaking
    Actually it was 15 minutes into its first run of the year, it was fine,  and went quiet and stopped. A minute later I saw the pilot gas flame. It has not started since . 
  • ScottSecor
    ScottSecor Member Posts: 873
    The gas valves cannot be opened manually or overridden by design, Assuming the gas valves are getting proper voltage, there is nothing you can do short of replacing the problematic valve.

Perhaps the local supply house has the valve in stock and for a fee will open on a Sunday? Around here, we pay a hefty fee for this service. Unless it is bitter cold, it rarely makes sense to pay the overtime/emergency fees. My suggestion is wait until Monday morning, unless the pipes are about to freeze.
  • leaking
    Ok thanks 
  • 109A_5
    109A_5 Member Posts: 1,388
    National - U.S. Gas Boiler 45+ Years Old
    Steam 300 SQ. FT. - EDR 347
    One Pipe System
    mattmia2
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 10,211
    edited October 2023
    There is a safety system to detect that the pilot is lit. If that isn't working correctly then it won't tell the main valve to open. Is there 24vac on the main valve terminals of the valve when it is not lighting? Is there correct gas pressure on either side of the valve if there is 24vac to the main valve terminals?

It isn't uncommon for gas valves to go bad but it is far more common to have other problems that prevent the main burner from lighting.
  • leaking
    Thanks , tomorrow we’ll check things more, but he used his meter, his company installed the unit . A boiler  company. They only do boilers in Chicago. 
  • 109A_5
    109A_5 Member Posts: 1,388
    leaking said:

Thanks , tomorrow we’ll check things more, but he used his meter, his company installed the unit . A boiler  company. They only do boilers in Chicago. 

Sorry, but to me none of these things instill any confidence in their troubleshooting ability.
    National - U.S. Gas Boiler 45+ Years Old
    Steam 300 SQ. FT. - EDR 347
    One Pipe System