Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

3/4 copper to male slip adapter

hot_rod
hot_rod Member Posts: 22,703
Working on the solar tank today. I needed a 10” brass nipple to make a clean connection

I drilled out a 3/4 adapter with a 7/8 holesaw, soldered it onto a piece of L copper

1-1/8 box fit perfectly 
Bob "hot rod" Rohr
trainer for Caleffi NA
Living the hydronic dream
mattmia2STEVEusaPAMad Dog_2dko

Comments

• EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,989
    Nice trick.

Did you just use the slip adapter to wrench the other adapter in and then sweat onto the copper sticking out? Or did you cut the outside copper off and thread something on to the slip adapter?

I used to drill out compression x male adapters so the 3/8" OD or 1/2" od copper tubing would slide through to the bottom of an oil tank and tighten the compression adapter into a bushing on top of the tank.
  • Larry Weingarten
    Larry Weingarten Member Posts: 3,459
    Hi, I can just imagine the mental wheels turning, followed by the lightbulb moment 💡😊 Finding ways to use things that doesn't match the intended use is fun!

Yours, Larry
    Intplm.
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,703
    Nice trick. Did you just use the slip adapter to wrench the other adapter in and then sweat onto the copper sticking out? Or did you cut the outside copper off and thread something on to the slip adapter? I used to drill out compression x male adapters so the 3/8" OD or 1/2" od copper tubing would slide through to the bottom of an oil tank and tighten the compression adapter into a bushing on top of the tank.
    I sweat both adapters to the tube, screwed it into the tank, then cut the tube to length

Basically making a place to attach a wrench without damaging the copper 
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
    PC7060Mad Dog_2SuperTech
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 10,211
    How about a strap wrench. To confuse someone that finds that later even more.
  • ScottSecor
    ScottSecor Member Posts: 873
    Very creative, looks like you still got it. Thanks for updating progress.

I think your employer should provide a machine shop as a perk, including a drill press, metal lathe and perhaps another addition onto your laboratory (kidding). I would have bored the cxm adapter the same manner, but the results may not have turned out the same as yours (on the first attempt).
    Mad Dog_2CLamb
  • PC7060
    PC7060 Member Posts: 1,279
    edited October 2023
    Someday, someone is going to be scratching their head over that one. It will probably be posted here. "What the heck is this fitting I need, I cant find it no where"
    Yes, in my world the drawings package to fabricate and document would be much more expensive than a thread 12” brass pipe!   :D
    Mad Dog_2
  • Mad Dog_2
    Mad Dog_2 Member Posts: 7,354
    Hot 🔥 Rod Mc Gyver....mad Dog 🐕 
  • retiredguy
    retiredguy Member Posts: 955
    They do make slip couplings that do not have the center stop. But I do like your McGyver solution when one is not available.
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,989
    @retiredguy I think he put the adapter on to use it as a place to wrench the nipple into the tank.
    realliveplumber