Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Navien 3 way valve replacement NCB 240 H

jeffceo
jeffceo Member Posts: 27
Hi, I have a newer NCB- 240 H combi. The 3 way valve is the newer cartridge style. I pulled the locking pin out but I can’t get the 3 way valve to pull out more than a 1/4”. Am I missing something?  Thank you!

Comments

• dko
    dko Member Posts: 668
    edited October 2023
    There is no mechanism other than the locking pin that prevents the three-way valve from being removed. It is a smooth chamber. I'm assuming you are changing the valve because it's not working, but it could also be broken physically. if the white plastic in the middle is broken it's possible that it's catching on one of the outlet holes. or the plunger piece at the bottom is not perfectly straight and is catching at the end.
    jeffceoGGross
  • jeffceo
    Thank you. I ended up replacing the entire 3 way valve assembly including the motor cartridge and housing/ pipe. There was no way I could get the old valve out of the housing without breaking it
  • Big Ed_4
    Big Ed_4 Member Posts: 2,891
    Engineering has never been their strong suit ...

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• dko
    dko Member Posts: 668
    edited October 2023
    Well, now that the entire assembly is out.. have you tried taking out the valve after?

I had both the valve and housing in front of me and was pushing it in and out without issue without possibility of another inherent mechanism/part getting in the way.

So I am very curious as to what was preventing the valve from being pulled out! Useful knowledge especially for future cases..
  • jeffceo
    I haven’t tried getting it out on a workbench yet but I will. You’re right, it will be useful knowledge. I’ll report back tomorrow. 
  • ShaneCTM
    ShaneCTM Member Posts: 1
    First post here but have been lurking for a long time.  Just encountered this same exact issue on the Navien NCB 240H in my house. The 3 way valve was only pulling out slightly, but being that it was my personal boiler, I took a chance and muscled it out. Once removed, I cleaned out the housing a bit and installed the new one with no issue.

I couldn't tell you what was preventing it from sliding out smoothly aside from some minor scaling inside the housing. The unit is only about a year and a half old and I just serviced and descaled it a month ago.