Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Very sad tonight...I lost my lifelong Sports Hero

Comments

• Mad Dog_2
    Mad Dog_2 Member Posts: 7,354
    edited October 2023
    #51 Chicago Bears 1965-1973.. Butkus played 9 unbelievable seasons, the last 2 on destroyed knees.  There are numerous great Middle Linebackers before and after #51, but he is the Gold Standard of Linebackers.  In fact, The Butkus Award is given to the #1 College Linebacker in America 🇺🇸 each year.

Butkus played with the ferocity of a Grizzly Bear, the Intelligence of a World Class Chess Player and agility and speed of a Mountain lion.  Butkud never lifted weights in his life or took steroids. When Butkus hit other men of all sizes, they went backward, many times knocking 2 to 3 grown A--- NFL football players down like bowling pins.. 

Football was a Sweeney Family Tradition and my father Bart III (RIP 1981) watched & studied NFL films of Butkus with my older Brother Bart and Me.  He'd tell us: "Play like Butkus plays...110% even in practice..play clean, but be the fastest hustler & hardest hitting S.O.B. on that field!" 

We made the most out of what God had given us, but we carry The Spirit of **** Butkus with us on our whole journey in life....I'm so glad I finally met him 8 months ago!  The Bears Lefend never played on great teams and still was named Defensive Player of the Year and All Pro many years running.

At his peak, he was the highest paid player in the NFL...$200,000.00 per year!   If you'd like to see for yourself, YouTube highlights are awesome. Start with "**** Butkus Monster of the Midway."  If they have a public viewing in Chicago or Canton Ohio, I'm goin...maybe even Florida or wherever. Road trip...whose comin?  Mad Dog 🐕 
  • Mad Dog_2
    #51 Butkus...This one and Pat Tillman #40 are my favorites!   RIP Boys.....Mad Dog 🐕 

• Mad Dog_2
    edited October 2023
    Butkus had a very long commentating and acting career.  He started Three very active  foundations ...The Play Clean Foundation to clean steroids & Performance Enhancing drugs 💉 out of HS & College Sports.  A Heart ❤ Healthy Program and The Butkus Foundation.  He done good in Life. Still  Married to his HS Sweetheart Helen, 3 kids, grandkids....not too shabby!  Mad Dog 🐕 
  • Mad Dog_2
    This book came out of my HS Library in 9th grade and never went back...imagine the fines I owe?? Ha ha 😂 🤣 😆 😄  Mad Dog 🐕 
    GGross
  • DanHolohan
    DanHolohan Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 16,577
    I’m sorry for your loss, Matt. This is a beautiful tribute. Bless you. Thanks. 
    Retired and loving it.
    Mad Dog_2
  • Mad Dog_2
    Thanks Dan.  I caught the tale end of his career.  You caught the whole thing. Butkus is my Gil Carlson!  Amen  🙏 Mad Dog 🐕