Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Air Vent

theowwm
theowwm Member Posts: 13
We just finished the installation of the Viessmann CU3A/199 boiler. This replaced a 32 year old Atola boiler. This was mostly a drop-in that used the existing piping and zone controls. I'm working on cleaning up some issues with the with the radiant and baseboard manifolds. It's just a few weeping fittings and some non-functional air vents. I have 4 manifolds, and each one has the pictured air vent on it. It would be great to replace with the same vent. Does anybody recognize this? Thanks.

Comments

• EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 8,676
    edited October 2023
    That is an air vent that has a automatic shut off valve built in to it so you don't need to drain the boiler or radiator to swap out the valve. I have installed something like that. I remember getting them from Wildwood Plumbing supply. In (You Guessed It) Wildwood NJ. Ace Plumbing & Heating supply has since purchased that location. Ask for Mike if he still works there. 609-522-1491 will know about the air vent with the built in service valve. 609-522-1491 Tell him Ed Young says hello!

I believe it was made by amtrol and the part number is Amtrol 700QC air vent with Quick Change fitting

Edward Young Retired

After you make that expensive repair and you still have the same problem, What will you check next?

• It looks like a European air vent and could have metric threads. I don't recognize the logo, but does the manifold have a name or logo?
    8.33 lbs./gal. x 60 min./hr. x 20°ΔT = 10,000 BTU's/hour

Two btu per sq ft for degree difference for a slab
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 8,676
    If you are across the pond from USA then you will need to look at this one https://www.cityplumbing.co.uk/p/remeha-vent-automatic-air-bleed-device-dhs466/p/433507

Edward Young Retired

After you make that expensive repair and you still have the same problem, What will you check next?

• theowwm
    Here's a few pictures of the manifold. These were originally installed in 1991. The thread appears to be 3/8" NPS. The I/O on the left side of the manifold is 1-1/4" NPT. I'll check out Amtrol to see if it's a match. Thanks.

• hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,864
    I can't see enough of the logo, if it is an Amtrol, it may have come from Caleffi :)

Screw the vent out of the check valve. If there is an o-ring or fiber washer it is a straight BSP thread.

Caleffi offers both NPT and BSP versions.

If there was a washer, o ring or loctite on the check valve, it too may be straight thread. So you will need a new gasket or Loctite it back in.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • theowwm
    It's a little hard to see, but there is a rubber washer at the bottom. The threads were sealed with dope. Sure enough, when you unscrew the neck, the stopper gets pushed up by the spring and seals the port.

• hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,864
    theowwm said:

It's a little hard to see, but there is a rubber washer at the bottom. The threads were sealed with dope. Sure enough, when you unscrew the neck, the stopper gets pushed up by the spring and seals the port.

How was the other end of that check sealed into the manifold? A rubber or fiber washer also?

If not, the manifold may be an NPT thread. More vent options with NPT

The Caleffi 5023 has both that check and a safety cap. The cap seals the vent should it ever leak or fail. We use this assembly on Caleffi manifolds for the extra protection. Only NPT in the US market, however.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream